Blued Kohler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JStarnes, Jun 12, 2004.

1. JStarnes

JStarnes LawnSite Member

Just got my Kohler CH20S back from the machine shop and was trying to clean the block up a little. After using the recommended oven cleaner I find that the engine is this brilliant blue color (oxidation I guess)

Is their anything I could use to get the engine back to normal.
    The color is OK, I really don't see anyone seeing it, but I would like to know for future reference. :confused:

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

now i would love to see a pic of that., try a scotchbrite wheel in a drill, you will have to repaint or refinsh it though.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was some hick way of saying that you had blown up your Kohler engine. He-yuck!

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Blued is right. You used oven cleaner on an aluminum block and there was a chemical reaction just like using gun blue-ing. Nothing will remove it. You will have to scrap off the top layer of metal to remove the coloring. I know a man who used a drain cleaner in a stainless steel kitchen sink and truned it blue. He could not remove the coloring so he just got more drain cleaner and a rag and made the whole thing match. You said recommended oven cleaner , recommended by who? I just went to the store room and checked a can of EASY-OFF oven cleaner which has sodium hydroxide (LYE) and it clearly says on the can do not use on aluminum.

5. JStarnes

JStarnes LawnSite Member

After great consideration the Blue color is starting to grow on me, I think I will leave it, after all when I shut the cover you can't see it anyway. I thought about buffing to a nice chrome finish but it's going on a lawn mower not a show car.

The machine shop recommended the oven cleaner.
    Maybe I should read the can next time.

Thanks

PS. I did blued it up thats why I'M a re-buld-N it

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

sodium hydoxide and aluminum dont go together very well... let us know what happens a few months from now..

7. JStarnes

JStarnes LawnSite Member

xcopterdoc, what do you think will happen in the next few months?

I have cleaned the block inside and out with soap and water, is their anything else you would suggest ????????????

I think the only thing harmed is the external finish which doesn't really bother me.

8. Liquid Cooled

Liquid Cooled LawnSite Member

What I use on aluminum and stainless steel is phosphoric acid (PO4). You have to use rubber gloves and goggles, don't take a chance. This will remove oxidation, corrosion and rust. It will not remove grease or oil.