bluegrass browning

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by KY GRASSLANDS, Mar 27, 2005.

1. KY GRASSLANDS

KY GRASSLANDS LawnSite Member

I have 3 lawns in a row two fescues lawns and bluegrass lawn in the center. Before applying 1st application the bluegrass lawn was the greener then the fescues which is to be aspected. Now after 1 and a half weeks later it looks the worst like it went from green to brown copper color. All 3 received the same tank mixture which included urea 46-0-0 at .54lbs per k and Dimension ultra wsp at.34oz per k. 1 of my other customers has fescue in the back of his home and bluegrass front same thing is happening. Used same application on same lawns last year not a problem. Weather at time of applications was in the upper 40,s and it was in 50,s last week with about a 1.5in of rain. Any comments on this is appreciated.

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I would wait and see what happens over the next week. There is a substantial warm-up on the way....

3. KY GRASSLANDS

KY GRASSLANDS LawnSite Member

i agree not doing nothing just wait and see. it just seems using the 46-0-0 just suck the life out of the blue grass lawns.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I used some of that on my parents yard last year two weeks or so before Thanksgiving. That urea will take up very quickly, so I put it down to build up the drought tolerance for their yard for this summer! I have noticed that their grass is greening up a little quicker this year than my own or any of my customers. Again, good luck...

5. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

(disclaimer: one martini in the hole)

I seem to remember that on the dimension label there is a warning about discoloration with various cultivars of fescue. There could be warnings about bluegrass as well, but I don't recall them. I would take a look at the fine print on the label and see if there is some correlation with what you're observing.

It's important to point out that the herbicides that we use, even when used according to label directions, are not benign to the health of the turf. There is some root pruning to be expected with the use of preemergents. In this case the benefits far outweigh the costs. Same holds true with the post-emergent dicot controls.

With the weather that you describe I would not be of the opinion that the urea is to blame, although if there is a negative reaction to the herbicide, the urea certainly will not help the visual symptoms. It will likely help to push out the affected growth.

BTW...have you considered using chelated iron in that mix first thing in the season. It may mask that effect that you describe. Try a tank full of it and record your observations.