Bluegrass/Ryegrass turning ---Purple!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by redbuckcavs, Jul 24, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I have a few accounts where there are baseball size areas that are matted down and the turf has a purple tint to it. The homeowners are demanding I treat for grubs asap because that is what "TGCL used to do". I want to correct the problem instead of charging for a service they dont need. These lawns are a bluegrass/ryegrass mixture and I thougth it may be "Brown patch".however the entire area has a purple tint to it and not just a "smoke ring''

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

redbuckcavs
    If the customer squawks again explain IPM practices to them, diagnose the problem and then treat not the other way around.

If another company has done this multiple times for grubs then why hasn't it done its job, I wonder
    If you have access to a local university or extention service take a chunk of soil and turf and take it over there, it will make it so that the next time you see it you will know exactly what it is.

Sorry I have no idea but would love to know the result

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

In some plants purple can be a phosphorous deficiency.

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto the possible P deficieny but Summer Patch can do this as can some environmental stresses. Is this turf regulary irrigated?

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Haha, I just suggested this same thing in the organic forum...

It COULD be slime mold, does the purple get on your shoe if you run it through the spot?

Hows the thatch? Heat? Humidity?

"Although slime molds do not cause disease, their sudden appearance as white, gray, purple, or brown patches on grasses may cause alarm"

Gotta go to page two and click on "slime mold"
    http://www.lesco.com/Default.aspx?P...sease+Reference&MenuItemID=3&SubMenuItemID=74

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I admit to reading the post too fast and thus giving an innacurate reply. The last sentence had me thinking the whole lawn had the purple cast to it, not the "entire area" of the baseball sized spots(the part I missed). sorry.

7. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

The areas that have the purple tint has NO ROOT BASE. To avoid summer patch I believe you want to stay away from high Nitrogen during the summer. These lawns have been serviced by TGCl for years and Im thinking the excessive Nitrogen finally caught up with them (there overuse of Nitrogen is now my headache)

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

my first applicator job was with scotts.. we had a few lawns that would turn purple, and it was one of the applicators overdoseing the lawn with N. it would take on a purple almost black tone, then bamm!! (sure looked cool for about a week) brown when the temps and the humidity went up

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Red Thread? Pics would be nice. We LOVE pics. Sounds like slime mold but could be almost anything.

10. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Weird, I saw the same thing today. The spots were about soft ball sized. I thought I was just getting bounced around to hard on the ZTR lol. Where are you in Indiana?