Bluestone Patio We Did

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JimLewis, Mar 17, 2010.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a few photos of a Bluestone Patio we finished last week....

Sorry, there is some gravel on the patio and steps due to some traffic after we blew off the patio. :rolleyes:

RuskayA.jpg

RuskayB.jpg

RuskayE.jpg

RuskayG.jpg

RuskayH.jpg

2. JimLewis

3. JimLewis

We did a bunch of other stuff on this project too. Outdoor lighting (Kichler LED), Irrigation System, Sod Lawn, Planting, Garden Boxes, Rock Staircase, Gravel Pathway. So there was a lot more to the project. But this was the highlight.

4. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Your work always looks great.:clapping: Can you give some specifics on what you used for the base material and filler between the stones. Do you ever use Polymeric sand on your installs?

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I saw 4 corners :) ...........clean install

6. brickpuller

brickpuller Banned

Did you use polymeric sand? I alos noticed that you didn't have any quarry marks (deep scratches on a few stones). Do you get those often, it seems that we do.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Awesome Jim! Thanks for sharing.

8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good. I'm liking that type of stone more and more.

9. JimLewis

To answer a few questions:

Yes, we used polymeric in the joints. But not sand. The joints were too wide and poly sand wouldn't look right anyway. We used Gator Dust. That stuff rocks and gives a look similar to mortar when it's hardened.

I don't know why we don't get quarry marks on these. I've never noticed that before. But we don't do too many cut Bluestone patios like this. This is only the 2nd or 3rd one we've done. For some reason, we got these pretty clean.

We installed it similar to pavers, except with the gator dust instead of poly sand. 1" gravel compacted into the clay subsoil to stabilize the clay, then a layer of biaxial geogrid fabric, then 5" compacted gravel, then sand then the stone.

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Looks real nice Jim, could you explain to me what "biaxial geogrid" is. Thx.