bluestone patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neighborguy, Oct 10, 2005.

1. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I know prices are different from region to region, but I was underbid by almost 50% on a project. This leaves me to believe that I was wacked on my pricing. SO I have to ask about how much per square foot do you guys charge to install a bluestone patio. Here is the situation.

1 1/2" - 2" thick New York Bluestone

250 sq ft

No equipment access to excavate.

Thanks in advance.

I can accept that I lost the bid but not by that much.

2. knoma

knoma LawnSite Member

I work with penn. blue stone (flagstone) if I may, can I inquire of your cost per square foot of product?

3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have bid no lower than $6,000 for a normal level installation with a normal 6" excavation for the base, no fancy cuts, just a rectangle. Debris disposal extra, Downspout relocation extra.

Costs around here run just under $4 a square foot for clean pattern flagstone.

4. motoraced

motoraced LawnSite Member
    from md

concrete or dust?

5. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

I'd be like $16-20 a sq. for a dry laid application on this job.
    Wet laid, would be alot more...

so range it about: $4000.00 - $5000.00

6. treedoc1

dust...concrete is $1000.00 additional

7. motoraced

motoraced LawnSite Member
    from md

24sf for DUST?? wow..i can and do it for 12sf in the same area youre in.

8. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Treedoc's getting twice as much as you in the same market. I wouldn't brag.
    My pricing is in line with Treedoc's.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

My area is the same pricing as PAPS, and an extra $1,000 for wet laid on a 4" concrete slab.

10. treedoc1

Motoraced...you are leaving a huge amount of money on the table.

Who will do that kind of work if you don't? You should know every competitor in your area and how far out every one is booked. If I slide below 4-6 weeks out, I might offer a small (10%) discount for booking that week, but the customer always sees the original price with a discount line item that is time sensitive, never just a discounted price.

I charge the same amount for pavers also. Just because I can do them faster, its my benefit, not the client.

I sell the job at a certain cost per sq ft and the client gets their choice of surface...no extra charge for them...no time consuming cost calculations for me.

If I lose some paver work to less experienced guys...no loss, I still retain all the natural stone work. Then when the job nears completion you upsell the landscaping and lighting to the job...more money not left on the table.