Bluestone steps-SQUIZZY here's how we set them

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MarcusLndscp, Oct 4, 2005.

1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

A few weeks back there was a thread about step installation and I believe Squizzy asked how we set them. Thought I'd show you what we use...it's a huge time saver and very easy to use.

smithstairs 003.jpg

smithstairs 002.jpg

smithstairs 005.jpg

smithstairs 006.jpg

smithstairs 007.jpg

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice work Marc. I was just wondering, why did you start at the bottom? KIDDING

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Marc - All wrong! Install a massive framework system, measure each step for height and excavate each one individually, then install steps from the top down using a 5lb sledge to pack stone underneath each riser. As you set the next step down, rent another mini-x to help raise the previous step so that you can slide the new one underneath it.......Repeat! Follow these instructions and in 120 man hours you will ave a nice set of steps.

P.S. Looks great!

Chris

4. MarcusLndscp

:D Ah........no comment

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL! :p

Chris

6. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Marc, the steps look great. I am going to go off thread a little, but how do you like that Kubota? What size/lb. rating is it? I am in the market for a new excavator and am looking for opinions. Thanks for any help.
    David

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

nice job..looks like the perfect setup for the task.

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

looks good Marcus.

Who ran the excavator? I know you didn't drive down there.

Whatta the chances of borrowing your rigging for a weekend?

9. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a kick a** mini x

10. MarcusLndscp

Hey Mark
    Who do you think ran the excavator??? I'll knock your socks off with an ex!!! :D I'll tell you what though......from the pics it doesn't look too bad but it is a wicked steep slope and the only access was beteween a huge hemlock and the deck. Total of the opening was 6'6" and the machine measures at 6'. Oh and I was going to be shot if I broke any limbs off the hemlock. You can't see it but I held the machine up with the bucket keeping the tracks level while walking out over the bank and then was able to lower the blade to grab onto a stump to keep me hovering out therewhile we worked. It started raining as we came close to completion and I almost didn't make it back out because everything greased up real good. After about 2 minutes of swinging around and pushing and pulling with the bucket she came right out. I will admit I was worrying about making the call to get me out...thank goodness there was no need for that call though.
    And yes to all who have commented on the machine it does kick a$$ and I would reccomend demoing one.