1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bluestone vs. pavers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Henry, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a big difference in the amount of time to lay pattern bluestone compared to pavers? I know they're larger (heavier) pieces but they also cover more ground per piece.

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

The bluestone will take alot more time to lay , cause of varying thicknesses, so the sand will have to be adjusted for each piece and the pieces need to be fit together, like a puzzel , so it takes some planning to get it all together.especially if irregular. You have to chisel them by hand or do it with a saw and then redo the edges with chiesl to make it look natural. I have heard that some suppliers of the stone will actually lay them out and # them for you with a plan supplied so you just do a lay by #'s type thing.. So that would save alot of time. I did it once just by getting a bunch of pieces of square cut bluestone to do a porch and had to lay it out and measure it and custom cut and fit each piece.. It's alot easier to just lay a pattern of pavers and zip the ends with a saw.....

3. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

Don't use sand to lay the Bluestone in. Use 3/8" stone. You can make the adjustments much quicker. I used to hate doing bluestone until a friend showed me the 3/8" base way. we can do about 300 ft of bluestone a day or 100 ft per guy. and the blue cost me $4.5 a ft. the paver cost. $1.35 to $2.25 a ft depending on the paver.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You could also use a base of DGA with a fine 3/4" layer of stone dust to set the bluestone.

Bob