Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by R Q, Nov 9, 2010.

1. R Q

R Q LawnSite Member

Does a Bluetooth ear piece work when running equipment? I would like to be able to take my calls when they come in.

2. Fresh_Cut

Fresh_Cut LawnSite Senior Member

nope. background noise/equipment will still be too loud for any kind of convo. Especially a "professional" convo

3. Dnryan

Dnryan LawnSite Member

Well i have the blueant headset, ran about 60 bucks online and it has pretty good sound quality and cancels out background noise for the other caller pretty good, but i would never run equipment while talking to a customer. i have some long winded fellow contractors that i deal with and i have to run the equipment when talking to them otherwise i would never get anything done. It's pretty easy to hear them when running a mower but the string trimmer right next to my ear really sucks and i can't hear anything.

4. R Q

R Q LawnSite Member

Let me rephrase my question, I cannot hear my phone ring so I miss calls. That is what I'm trying to find out. Does the earpiece alert you when you have a call. I would never talk while running equipment, I need to hear the phone ring.
    Thanks

5. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

Yes, they do. I've used the Plantronics backbeat but kept returning them for water damage due to perspiration behind the ear. My Nokia BH-214 is powered from a dongle and thereby not bothered by my sweat.

Both have OK sound but you're not going to listen to Beethoven while operating our Scag or Stihl, ay?

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Ah, ha, ... that is my question too. I keep my flip phone in my breast pocket, hoping the vibration will be enough to catch incoming calls. But, I usually miss them -- too much vibration in the arm through the hand on the trimmer, elbow on the arm rest of the ZTR, etc. In fact, I sometimes put the phone in my pants pocket, and then feel the vibration of the phone in my shirt pocket -- which doesn't reside there! False alarm.

I would think the earpiece is not practical when out working. With low handing branches, quick movements of the head, etc, I would think it would get knocked off way to easily. It looks too precarious on those who wear them.

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

why do you guys want to be able to hear the phone ring and answer phone calls while working? how would you get anything done? even if i kept my phone on me while working, i'm not gonna stop my trimmer, blower or mower to answer the damn thing. they can leave a message and i'll call them back when i'm between jobs. if they don't leave a message then it wasn't important.

when i'm on a job my goal is to get it done as quickly as i can providing the quality i provide. stopping to answer the phone just takes up more time.

8. R Q

R Q LawnSite Member

That is not the question I asked! :laugh:
    Actually I have people that I WANT to talk too! And they might just be kinda pretty too!:D

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

well if i'm not willing to stop and answer the phone for business related issues do you think i'd be willing to stop and answer the phone for non business related issues??? i don't think so.

i don't care if it's the president of the united states calling. everyone that calls while i'm working can leave a message or call back later.

no message left, no return phone call. personal or business related either one.

10. R Q

R Q LawnSite Member

If our president called right now you can be sure I wouldn't call him back!:laugh: