BNI (Business Networking International)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Midwest Lawn Services, May 12, 2007.

1. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I just joined this great networking company called BNI. You can find them at . First years dues were 370, but I paid for that in the first visit, and the next week I got enough refferals to pay for 5 more years of dues. It is worth your time to see if you have a local chapter in your area and look into becoming a member. The best thing is they give you exclusivity to your industry for refferals when you join. Check it out!!:clapping:
  2. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

I am a member as well. Membership paid for itself a few times over after my first meeting. It's a great, structured way to network and get leads.
  3. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

I just looked at their site. It said only 1 member from each profesion, no part timers. Do they actually go by this or is that the "idea"?
  4. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried to e-mail them for more info the same day this thread was started and still have heard nothing back.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I have been a member for 3 years now and ye they do hold true to this. It is a great way to gain business we grew from a one man operation to a 6 person construction company in no time at all.

The reason you need to be full time is that YOU WILL get a lot of work from it and they need peopel who are really in business not people creating a part-time job for themselves.

I highly recommend it to anyone. It will change your business.

My first referal was for 60k and I have had several like those from BNI.
  6. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I went to one of their meetings and was not impressed. You have to pay money to them and what do they give you? A bagel and coffee at their meeting. What if I don't like some of the people in my group. I'm still obligated to give their name out. What if that person screws up, then they make me look bad. If I had another friend or family member in the same business, sorry but I would refer them first.
    This is the kicker. I was told by their leader that if you don't bring in a certain amount of referrals in a time period they kick you out. So basically your getting money for the people who run this yet they don't give it back to you. Sounds like a legalized pyramid to me.
  7. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I tried it a few years back for a year. I only received work from the other members, occasionaly. Most of the referrals were just estimates, or giving someone an idea about landscaping. Even going into the referral, I usually knew is was just an information meeting, but I had to follow up with the "referall" as part of being a member. See, those count as a referral, no matter if the quality is low. For me, it was more of a "good old boys" where you knew people in other business that would give you info. Could have been the group I was involved with, but I dont plan on getting involved with them ever again.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Something reeks of a Multi-Level Marketing scheme, for 400 bucks I can just run an ad in the paper and then I don't have to wonder where my money went, nor do I have to do any follow-ups and listen to motivational cassette tapes, but if I'm in the mood for that then I'll just watch an infommercial ...

MILSINC LawnSite Member

I joined a BNI group last june.. boosted my sales by 40k.. hard to complain about that for 300 bucks.. just became the chapter president, and sales spiked even more. it's not a scheme.. you just pay for the structure of a networking group that is not allowed to turn into a coffee club.
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Nice so it is network marketing !!!!!

Want to buy a case of toilet paper from me!!!!