Bni?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green Dreams, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I was wondering if any of you have associated yourselves with the BNI Network (www.bni.com) in your area. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had joined back in '98, and didn't finish the year. It ended up being more of a hassle. Find a group that meets early or late in the day. If it is at lunch you will probably keep finding yourself showing up late, hot, sweaty, and dirty. Or just not showing up at all. It also just didn't fit right for me. It was more people withing the group passing you leads for work at their house, rather than their customer, clients and friends. The group I was in had too many bankers, realtors, mortgage lenders, and multi-level marketing programs. And as you probably know, we all get looked down on by the white collar folks who can't do our jobs :rolleyes:

Some people have found good success with those leads groups I didn't.

3. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I decided to join a local BNI group this year after much hounding by one of my customers. I joined in late Feb and I am going to call in today and let them know I can not continue with the committment, b/c that is what it is, a big committment. The group I was in met early in the morning but was still a hassle for me to committ the 1.5 hours week. Here is where this type of group works: 1) For new or old businesses looking to grow indescriminately
    2) People that can committ the time and effort 3) I believe a service business like us will do very well in this type of group.

Down side is the committment and many of the leads were not leads I wanted yet according to the group rules you need to still follow up on them. In the short time I have been involved I got over 6000.00 in work. Overall, I think it definitely is worth it and is great practice for you to sell yourself as you are required to do "commercials" and speak about yourself and your business. In the end the committment has gotten to me and the time I spent there (1.5hrs/week) took more away from me than what I felt it was worth. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I get plenty of work on my own, so I decided it best to not go anymore. There are other groups out there like LeTip, which I visited before, but I do believe the BNI group is probably the best of any networking group around.
    One thing I do is I basically have made my own network over the years of real estate agents, builders, contractors, mortgage people and on and on. If you can accomplish something like that you will be better off in the long run.

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

How much do they want for you to join? I know thtere's some green involved here...

Thanks

5. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

350.00 per year or something like that. Right around there though.