1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Boat and RV Storage Yard Pavement

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dswinnerjr, Feb 27, 2007.

1. dswinnerjr

dswinnerjr LawnSite Member

I have a potential job that invovles smoothing out the crushed concrete the owner has as a pavement. Most of the pot holes are at least two inches deep by varying widths. I used a woods heavy duty box blade with the scrafier teeth down one hole to break up the crushed concrete first, then went back and smoothed it out with the back blade. Finally, I ran over the entire area, about 50'x75', with the tractor and tried to pack it down. It looked good at the time.

Now the owner has called and said the the pot holes are gone but ruts have formed where the trucks and trailers have run over the area.

So, I am thinking that I should run over the area like I did at first with the scarfier teeth down, smooth it over with the box blade, and then drive over it with a vibraroller or compactor.

Without any picture what would you guys recommend?
  2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Crushed concrete is good as a base, but you need a finer stone on top of it. The crushed concrete is not going to pack in like you want. It's like trying to compact #4's or something similar. If he's looking for a solid patch job, your best bet would have been to fill in the potholes with crushed #53's. They pack great without having to use a roller or compactor.
  3. dswinnerjr

what else would #53 be called down here in texas?

also woudl I need to loosen up the area around it and then put this material in and pack it in with the tractor?
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need to "fluff up" the packed down material to respread it evenly. But, since the ruts are basically settled, I'd throw some 5/8" with fines down to bring the ruts up to grade, add a couple more inches on top of current grade, water, and use a machine to compact. It's a parking lot, not sub-base for anything, so compaction isn't terribly important, but shouldn't be overlooked entirely.
  5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Spread in some coarse stone dust and run a vibrator plate over that small of an area.
  6. dswinnerjr

I appreciate the responses. I do not think I have fully explained the situation though. This was just a trial area, the owner has about 1200' of road that has pot holes he is trying to fill. So, as was suggested earlier, since the crushed concrete is pretty much packed down, just fill in the holes with more material but finer? Thanks. I am going over there tomorrow, so I will take some pics and post to have something visual to look at.

Thanks everyone.
  7. dozerman21

dswinnerjr- That's what I would do. If the potholes, with crushed concrete as a base, still need more material to make it flush, I would add crushed #53's to level it out. Grade down whatever ruts the trucks have made, and hopefully you have 2" or more left in the pothole that you can fill with the finer stone and dust. You should be able to compact it good enough with your tractor. Getting it wet will help too.

If the crushed concrete is so high that you don't really have room for any more stone, try adding dust, getting it wet, and compacting it. You would fare much better though if there is room for a finer stone with dust. It should save you from using a compactor.

Post your pics when you get the time. That might help a little.
  8. dswinnerjr

thanks dozerman, one more thing. What is another name for #53? I am not too familiar with that. Thanks.

9. dozerman21

Crushed #53's is a mixture that ranges from 1 1/2" down to dust. If you call your local aggregate and they don't have it, they can give you something similar. Maybe you guys have a different name for it down there. Just make sure it has dust in it.
  10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you go over it with 3/4 inch road base and pack it down it will work you if you get into the coarser material than is a SOB to grade. You will never stop pot holes unless you seal coat the road or pave it. We have had dirt roads here regraveled then a grader with wheelwobblies grade the new surface then repack it down. A couple weeks later the pot holes are back. The highways dept has one of these roads they seal coated it which was a little expensive but it never needed attention for a year now.

The road used to suffer from pot holes and wash board thats a thing of the past now.