Bob-cat Leo Or Z-force Which Is Better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjim8499, Mar 20, 2005.

1. bigjim8499

bigjim8499 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I am trying to decide between these 2 mowers and it is hard too decide. the cub has a better engine (kohler 23hp, 50 in deck, leo 18 hp 52in deck) but the leo has a larger deck. it seems they both have the same hydro system. The leo is 400 dollars cheeper.leo has the better deck (heaver). what do the pros on this site think.

2. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

I personally would not want a 52" deck on a ZTR with only an 18 HP engine.
    I'd also see if I could find a Hustler turf equipment dealer in your vicinity.
    The Hustler Fastrack is heavier built than either of the two mowers you listed, and is very well engineered (I demoed one at the EXPO last Fall, and was impressed with how well built it was).
    If you can only choose between the Cub and the Bobcat Leo, I'd ask if a larger engine was available for the Leo (I feel like it should be available, but I haven't checked Bobcat's website). Good Luck. :)

3. bigjim8499

from tx

bobcat is on sale with no hp option. that might be why they still have it.

4. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

I have the ZT125 Bobcat, 25HP Kohler, 48" deck and its a great mower. Good strip and no problems to speek of. Between the (2) stated I would go with the Cub 50" deck and 23HP Kohler engine. Remember, you can never get to many ponies! That 52" deck with 18 HP just won't cut some of the grass you will get into. Good luck on your purchase.

5. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

18 HP is not enough for a Z rider...

Most companies offer a 23 HP or bigger for a 52" Z

The Z force is junk. MTD crap at it's finest!

Pay a little more and get a real commercial Z. You'll be glad you did in the long run!

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Out of the 2 you listed i'd get the z force Cub. like everyone else said 18 hp is just not enough for that size deck and the Cub ztr's are built decent and would work just fine for a homeowner.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

They initially put a 17.5 single cylinder Briggs on the small Leo. It had major problems. Is the 18 a single? It also had a unitrans (that's what I called it). Shopping for the cheapest will get you just that. It's not a commercial mower.

8. bigjim8499

from tx

i think the 17.5 is on the 48" and the 18 is on the 52. not much better. the dealer said it was big enough when i asked him. i am a home owner with 3.5 acers and dont need a commerical mower and i dont think i am buying one for 4,000 dollars. thanks

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Of course he did cause he is trying to sale it....but it's not and if you buy it you will regret it I'm sure, esp cutting that 3.5 acres.

Since you're just a homeowner using it for that purpose, I'd buy a really good lawn tractor say a Simpicity or John Deere with a 48"-54" deck and it's less money.

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

The Leo is definately not a commercial mower. It is better suited for homeowners with large properties.

Your better off spending a few extra $$ and getting a 200 series Bobcat. Believe it or not, the 220ES is a step up and has enough power. Anything with a larger deck needs a little more hp.