Bob cat mower questions

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gmcdezine, Mar 10, 2002.

1. gmcdezine

gmcdezine LawnSite Member

I was looking at buying a 48" Bobcat mower however I have 2 questions about these. The mower needs a idler pulley by the wheel and also needs the bell crank pulley fixed. Just how difficult are these to fix and is it an expensive repair? And are these pretty good mowers? I am looking at about $400 for the mower and I don't want to get the thingnand have a piece of junk to fix up. Other than those repairs it is a pretty good looking and running mower. Thanks for the help!!:rolleyes:

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This is the mower on Ebay isn't it? If it is you should take it to a commercial mower repair shop and have it inspected prior to buying it. That mower was used as part of a commercial fleet or as a rental and very likely has many, many hours on it. There are a lot of parts on that mower that can be worn out.

You have been warned.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

one good thing is there are alot of parts available aftermarket for cheap.

Dave

4. gmcdezine

gmcdezine LawnSite Member

So, anyways, what about the repair? I am well aware that it is used. This will be used when my others are in for maintence work. I was just looking for some thoughts on a fix thats all.
    Thanks

5. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

gmcdezine, I don't claim to be an expert. I just rebuilt a Scag walkbehind and it needed several new pulleys. I am not a master mechanic either. What I did is went with aftermarket parts which are rather affordable compaired to oem. I bought most of my parts from www.j-thomas.com. I know they carry Bobcat parts as well. When taring apart the drive components on this gear driven walkbehind, I tore apart one side at a time, made the repairs and referenced the other side as I went along. For the deck it is pretty much self explanitory. Things can only go one way. I would go online and price the parts you need before buying. That way you would have a better idea of how much the mower might really cost when complete. The mechanics of it should be pretty logical I would think. Good luck I hope this helps.

6. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

GMC-

I also recently completely rebuilt a 48" SCAG walkbehind. I tore the entire unit entirely down to the deck/frame and then replaced everything that was worn/broken/didn't look right. My unit cost me 450 from a dealer and it was VERY well used. It was one of the best purchases I ever made.

To answer your question- The idler pulley should be no problem to replace. I don't think they would be expensive at all. Gilbert is right- go to www.j-thomas.com and price everything there. I'm pretty sure they have Bob-cat parts catalog online. I don't know what a "bell-crank-pulley" is. Can you elaborate?

If you have any mechanical ability/desire you should have no problem. I had never done anything like this before but had no problem with it and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now I have an excellent piece of equipment for this season and many more.

Some advice- take TONS of pictures before you start. Use a digital camera on the highest quality setting if you are able. This way you can zoom in once you forget how to put stuff back together. I used this "safety net" MANY TIMES during my rebuild. Gilbert has another good point- do one side of the drive system at a time so you can reference from the other.

Remember- you pay someone to fix it and you'll pay everytime. You do it yourself once and take twice as long the first time and you'll never have to pay again cause you'll know how to do it for free.

Feel free to email me any questions.

-Jeff-