Bobby Gedd has got me thinking.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 21, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

I hear him talking about cutting peoples lawns whenever he wants and if they don't like it then "screw them". I'm beginning to see where hes coming from. I have this one customer who complains anytime i don't make it on thursdays. sometimes the rain backs me up and i can't get there til friday. i'm getting sick of them. from now on its either you love it or leave it cause i'm not getting bossed around from anyone. hell, thats the reason i went into business for myself to begin with. thanks bobby.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I don'y cut any of my customer's lawns on any set day of the week. This is due to my strange schedule with the fire dept. Usually I am there either monday or tuesday, or thursday or friday. I told all of my customers this before I took them on, and all of them understood.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

look, you can all laugh all you want about the way i do things. my business is growing litterally as fast as i want it to. i pick and choose my clients, and the way i want to be paid. sure there is an unhappy client here and there, but some people tend to get that way when you don't give stuff away for free or let them push you around. yup, i got a complaint on a fert program today, i also got a client who cancelled due to my price increase, call me back today and say, "this other guy isn't working out, i understand now why you are more expensive, can i get back on the list?" yup, that's the way it works. i do my best to get there on schedule, but, things happen. when it's 110 in the shade, no, i aint pushing it till i drop so i can stay on schedule. when it rains all day, then stops at 6 pm, i don't go running out to cut grass till dark, just to keep that schedule. they get it cut when i cut it, it's a service that is directly effected by weather. WEATHER, means rain, excessive heat, heavy dew, etc, etc. i aint no animal. if they can't roll with the punches, they can call the next guy. if they want a knowledgable lawnboy, who does a nice job, on HIS TERMS, then they dial 1-800-bobbygedd

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've been doing this for a couple of years now and I'm getting to that point myself.
    I can remember jumping whenever someone wanted me to when I first started because I needed the money really bad.
    I still need the money but, I get it mostly on my own terms.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I think it is very proffesional to have a set schedule...the customer knows you come on thursday unless it rains.. then it's friday. how do you guys have efficient tight routes if your running all over the countryside on different days everyweek. By doing the same routes everyweek...I can do them with my eyes closed halfsleep if I want...when I get board we just do it backwards

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

what if you cut grass mon, tues, wed, thurs, and friday. it rains mon, tues, wed. when do thursdays lawns get cut?

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You would just be backed up then, and may lose a week on some lawns if you don't cut in the rain.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

which brings me back to my original statement, "i'll cut it, when i cut it, and, you'll like it!"

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well having one long a$$ day myself today, I can certainly see both sides. I admit I have blown off people before (Mostly due to Texas heat exhaustion), however I do keep everyone on a set mowing day. And if I don't show up on that particular day, any one of my customers would call me in a heartbeat, which I can understand.

My blowing them off due to heat exhaustion is my fault. I overbooked, or didnt' get adequate help for the day. But in the long run, it's my business and I can do what I damn well please. If they like it great, if they don't well adios.

However, I don't want to run my business this way. I DO want to conform to set mowing days (which I do, I only blew off 2 people this entire year), and I always want to have a backup plan so I'm always in control. If it rains one day a week, which is a blessing in Central Texas, then everyone gets bumped one day. If they have a problem with this then screw em' as I can't control weather. I mow in all rain except thunderstorms anyway so this rarely happens.
    So in closing do whatever you want! And don't complain about the results of your actions. :blob3:

10. knoma

knoma LawnSite Member

I dialed the 1-800 bobbygedd........but he did not answer