Bobby gedds idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Nov 5, 2003.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

come four times for a clean-up is very bad .how much can you inflate the price .say the clean-up is 300.00 clean-up and you inflate the price 150.00 for four visits thats 450.00.no one is going to pay more than that or even that .you got to figure is it worth your time to come four times unless you really milk the job only do the front one visit then the back then the last two visits two visits the whole clean-up.its a good idea but i dont think it would work out.how about tell the customer $450.00 the first time then say you will come back one more time in two weeks or so.i just think four will kill you time wise .also you better remember to count the leaves on trees in neighbor yards. 3 more times is were you gotta figure is it worth it or not.i like the fact that it is weekly but no one is going to pay $300.00 then another $100.00 each time that would be worth it to me....also you will be killing your spring clean-ups.....i dont know its good and bad.......

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense Ron, but I don't think you got the gist of Bobby's marketing plan, maybe you should reread his follow-ups....also, why didn't you post this on the thread referenced instead of starting a new one?

His plan makes total sense as I have been doing that on some properties for some time now. Note the part where he has a cut-off. This would be the case if the people called back for a final cleanup. If after the 3-4 week break-out date...it would be an additional charge. No milking needed for this plan. Just less work each time instead of one massive cleanup and the property looks pretty good for the entire month instead of waiting for everything to drop.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I simply dont see ,,, HOW ,,, ANYTHING ,,, bobby has to say could ,,, POSSIBLY ,,, make sense from a biz perspective - LOL!!!

4. ronslawncare

no not offended at all, i understand the date ,which in my oppion doesnt make a difference .you do the clean-up and come 3 more times right after for a little bit of money .im going to try this with the first new leaf clean-up i get to see what you guys are talking about.

5. Scraper

I don't know about your properties ron, but the leaves on mine don't all fall at the same time...at this point trying it that way you are probably too late as I know most of the trees in my area are bare. You have to act on this plan from when the leaves start to drop.

KnK....LOL...You're right...I can't believe I actually said that although I must say....Bobby has come around as of late!

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ron. its very simple. do u want to do a one time cleanup, spend 5 hours there, kill yourself doing it, and have the potential long term client only see you once, or, would you take this 5 hr cleanup, break it into 4 trips of say an hour and a quarter, leaving you more time to visit other properties on these days(leaf cleanup is a very busy time of year) . remember, the wind blows in alot of different directions, if the wind gods are with you, maybe the leaves will be blown away next time you come. remember again, as i stated, the motivating factor here is to build clientel for next season, and i think by letting them see my pretty face, 3-4 times, instead of just one, will make it happen. another thing. i have a huge sign ill be putting on my truck, along with name, number, lic #, it will also say, " ALWAYS TAKING ON NEW CLIENTS, FEEL FREE TO ASK". the more exposure i get in these new neighborhoods, the better off ill be. im thinking long term here. if the client doesnt turn out to be long term, so be it, i still got paid for my work. next season will be my first full season full time. i am accustomed to living on a 6 figure income(this is including my previous job), and im damn well gonna try real hard to get back there. in fact, one day i just know ill be saying, "my name is bobby j. fudd, millionaire, i own a mansion and a yaght" , and of course 2 beat up trucks, a few less than perfect walkbehinds, and more heart and guts than most people i ever met. its gonna work, because failure is not an option. im just sharing with u boys, which, by the way, i usually dont do

7. ronslawncare

im going to try it.what happens if we get a early snow you just pissed all over your self with 100 clean-ups waiting to be finished.i admit its a good idea if done earlyenough.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

remember, u have already collected on each visit. if it snows early, so be it(but u know that hasnt happened here in 100 years). then you go back and quote a spring cleanup, which, puts you more in the ballpark for the seasonal service, cus its spring, you are there...

9. Scraper

You didn't get that early snow up there last year? Heck...we were struggling with leaf cleanups in January waiting for snow to melt...

10. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Bobby's proposed method for the past (3) leaf seasons. I average 4-5 trips to my " best " customers, (3) for the average joe's, and twice for the cheaper crowd. I have yet to get caught with my pants down, and rarely have to beat myself up doing leaf removal. Here in State College we have curbside pick-up, so that's a huge advantage.

All in all, it works. I will do Fall clean-up's no other way.....