BobbyGedd's collection method is right on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Sep 22, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

As some of you may have noticed, about two weeks ago, a deadbeat called and said he needed to get his record cleared up. This was a customer I did some work for back in February of '03. He didn't ever pay and I sued him and won a default judgement in March of '04. I posted a thread on here about it:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=82047&highlight=DFW

I thought the sonovabitch was gonna pay. He hasn't done anything since then. Well, I think I figured out what happened.

He called me on a Monday morning wanting to get his name cleared. My assumption was that he had applied for credit over the weekend and been denied. So he calls me on the phone Monday wanting to know how we get it cleared. He says he needs a "statement of release". So I explain that I think it's just a letter signed by me that says he's paid the balance due. He says he'll call me on Friday and arrange a time to pay me and get the statement. He never called.

So this morning, I am in the courthouse dealing with another deadbeat loser, and I ask the clerk about how to get his judgement cleared after he pays. She explains the "statement of release". Basically, the statement that I would sign after he pays wouldn't ever be filed with the court. It would be filed with the credit reporting agencies.

Given the fact that we're dealing with an individual who is dishonest enough to not pay the bill the in first place, what are the odds of a deadbeat forging my signature to a statement that says the bill is paid? And sending it to the credit reporting agencies? And what would be the penalty if they were ever caught (which seems to me would be impossible for them to get caught)?

Anyway, Bobby Gedd's collection methods are the way to go. Ring their bell on the way home from a late night poker game at 1:00am and ask for the payment. Then they are the ones who have to prove you attempted to collect the debt outside the law. The burden of proof is then on them, not you.

From what I've seen so far, a judgement from small claims isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Small claims court has always worked for me. The one time a client didnt pay even after the judgement against him i filed for order of execution (I think that was the name). This order gives the court the right to go into the persons house and tag items for sherrif sale in order to pay the debt. They have untill a certain date to pay or a sherrif sale will be held at there home. When I did this I received a check about 3 days before the date of the sale. :drinkup:

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have been to court two times with signed contracts and lost both times. As far as I am concerned forget the legal way and do it Bobbys way. By the way both times I have been cheated it was by hotel owners of indian decent....go figure

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Whats bobbys collection methods?

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Watch goodfellas and your figure it out Bobbys real name is Pauly.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Somewhere along the lines of going to the house with a dump truck full of human waste and start tilting the box till they come running out with cash. It usually works better than going to court.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

In Virginia at least, after you win a judgement, you can have their wages garnished, or my preferred method, garnish the money from their bank account. The easiest way is, when you get a new client, make a copy of the first check they send you, then you'll have the bank info. Otherwise you have to drag their dumbazz back into court to get that information, THEN go back and file again for garnishment.

The look on their faces must be priceless when they realize you've sucked all the money out of their checking account and the mortgage check is getting ready to bounce.

If this doesn't work, go with Mr. Gedd's methods.