Bobby's ex-customers all move here!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

....either that or something is spreading like the plague!

So here comes a BG story that's the absolute gospel...

I pull into the back drive of this commercial account and back around to drop my gate on the curb of one of two small turf areas I am now mowing as an add-on freebie as they were not part of the original contract. I'm dropping the gate there because the dang curb is way too tall to cross.

Anyways, I jump out to unload, leaving my truck running so I can move out of the way fast. As I get around to drop the gate, the owner of the place is shouting from a distance and pointing out an area where he wants some extra work done.... which happens to be like these areas, not his property. Here I am crossed up in the drive, trying to hear what he's saying exactly and a car comes along. So I shake him off to get out of the way.

I get out of the way, mow that area, reload, pull around and unload, do what I'm paid to and then the second freebie area. Afterwards I go look at the area he's wanting done so I'm ready to work something out when I go talk to him.

The area like I said, is not part of his property, it's a right-of-way bank that is short but about 50 degrees, washed out and grown up with some big stalk jungle weeds. He's wanting this area cut down along with the right of way, right up to the golf course wall.

So I tell him "I'll be glad to take care of that for you. But I will have to come back another day because I don't have the brush saw with me." He says "OK, no big hurry, just when you can get to it." I say "OK I will do the job ASAP because that area does look bad. It's so bad there is no way I can know what I'm getting myself into, so I will just go ahead and cut it and bring you a bill."

At this point he laughs as to joke and says "A bill?" I'm thinking HA-HA real funny, don't even joke about that kind of work. Then i say "yeah a BILL." He replies "you're going to charge me? That's not even my property." I say "exactly... not part of the job." He says "I pay you good to do all of this, you can do a little something free for me once and a while." I say "But sir, I already do free stuff for you every week that is not part of the job, like that area back there and the one across from it that I go to some much trouble for......... I CAN'T come over here and do that much brush cutting work for NOTHING!"

He says "OK don't do it then" and smiles. I smile and say "OK" and we both head on our way. Now I got a feeling he's gonna piss his pants when I deliver his application bill for this month....

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and this is his idea of a little something free....

Remember I said the bank is 50 degrees or so. Don't be fooled, the tops may be close to even, but the bottoms ain't. From the bed to the fence wide, not all big weeds and as far long as you can see. All the bank area is a jungle.

dsc_436.jpg

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do that for free either. He's got some nerve, especially when it's not even his property.

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it you have all these problems? Maybe you should take a look at your contracts IE scope of work that will be done and charges outside the contract. You may want to reconsider how you're "selling" the job. As you said in your post you were already mowing something for free. It's pretty simple.....If you do not charge for a service there is NO perceived value. One last observation, why would he have a problem with paying your app charge? You did give him a quote...Right?

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oh yea envy, it must be your fault. uh huh, just like it's always my fault. i have come to a conclusion: these guys on lawnsite never have problems with clients, because.....when they get jerked around, it's not a problem to them, they have so little self respect, they just accept it as "part of doing business", and then call themselves "proffessionals" cus they just ate the cr@p the customer gave them. fools, suckers, spineless idiots! he laughed when u mentioned a bill? come up with something, add 25% to it, then call him BEFORE doing the work and tell him you just wanted to get it ok'ed first.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

First, you can not do it legally. It is not his property and he does not have the authority to authorize you to do the work. It is that simple, period. What would you do if the owner came by and said,
    "hey what do you think your are doing? I did not want that cut!"

As far as the freebies, what you are doing is not a freebie. It is an added expense of time and energy and if he does not own the property, legally I suggest you stop.

And Bobby yes we have had problems with some of our past customers. I say past becaues I usually let them go pretty quick if I see they are going to be a PIA. I do this by saying, " Mr. or Mrs. Jerk, it has become obvious that I can not satisfy you and that you are unhappy. I would like to suggest Joe's Dirtbag Lawn Service. I have know Joe for a long time and I think that he will be perfect for your property." I then tell them good bye.

Funny thing, Joe Dirt Bag hates me too. LOL

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

nelbuts,--I don't hate you,, and thanks for the work.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, according to the "pros" here you should be able to satisfy your clients. it's never thier fault.

9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Two pita customers well 1 would be, 1 existant. The first one was like my grass was really green last week and then you cut it and now it looks dry. I want it cut every 2 weeks. This lawn grew 4-5 inches in 1 week and its in direct sun, never watered. Its still green, except 1 spot which is a different type of grass. I dont know why she thinks that every 2 weeks will help it any. The other one is for a bush job thats 1/2 hour away. Clear the sides to make it 4 ft wide and cut the top down to 5 ft. Its like 12 ft wide, 50ft wide and 10 ft tall. Last week I had said 350-400, onsite dumping about 60 ft away. The husband called back and asked how much to just cut and i said 275, 250 and he got back 1 min later and was like ok you said 250. I said forget that, same price because you cant cut it until you pull some away. Needless to say, he became very irate when I said that. Cant wait until the fall when I see if he made any progress on them.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

My thoughts exactly.