BOBCAT 21INCH

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy, Oct 26, 2000.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A 21INCH BOBCAT PUSH MOWER? I LOOKED AT THESE AT MY DEALER AND THEY LOOK GREAT.....SOLID DECK HEAVY WHEELS...VERY TOUGH...BUT LOOKOUT 800BUCKS......ARE THEY WORTH THAT MUCH???? HOW LONG CAN THEY LAST...I LIKE TO BUY GOOD QUALITY BUT MAN THATS A LOT OF CLAMS!!!

2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

$800 Bucks, OUCH! I have an old one we bought used with a fairly modern 31/2 Briggs for $200. The mower deck is probably 15yrs and the engine about 3. I like it, it's tough but basic and I think it was made by Simplicity for Bobcat/Ransomes or viseversa. I don't think it's worth $800 though. Good luck, Grassman

3. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

last time I asked the dealer they didnt have a self propelled version they are around 650 here the dealer actually shruugged it off for that reason...alot of times I use the 21 for very narrow or steep spots, really do need a self propelled....I do like that fact that they run hilift blades I often have trouble cutting over 2.5 with my recycler toro in theory I think the hilift blades may help that

4. Ground Rules

Ground Rules LawnSite Member

I bought one this May. My dealer had either the Bobcat 21" push or the Tru-Cut self propelled.

Yes, this ran me $800 with bagger. Tru-cut was almost $1,000 with bagger.

He indicated most go for the self propelled Tru-cut 80% of the time.

It's a great mower and I have had zero problems with it. It's about 90lbs. but I'd never know pushing it with the 8 inch rear tires.

The only thing I do not like about them is the manual method of changing the cutting height. On the flipside with the Tru-cut, you have those levers to change the height but my dealer said those sometimes have a dendancy to break mostly due to people beating up the machine i.e. usage. I also do not change cutting height from customer to customer only when seasonal changes warrant it.

It was the best bang for my buck at the time. Please note that it was my first commercial trim mower so I have nothing else to compare it to. Also, I am a part time owner/operator so your usage and needs may vary.

5. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

There's a bobcat/ransomes 21" 2 stroke(i think) on ebay right now, starts at $90 looks new

6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Look for an old Bobcat or a Sensation...I have a sensation 21" . It's a G series with a flip handle, sow you don't have to turn around and the catcher doesn't get in the way.
    I've seen them advertized for $100 or less, but may need a new motor.

jeffyr

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

You don't see these bobcat 21" anywhere in Pa.

They look pretty heavy duty, but do they bag (vaccum) as well as a commercial duty lawnboy?

Thanx.
    Ron

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would not spend almost half the price of a 36" commercial wb for 1/4 the productivity. I have a couple of thses machines and I like them. I find that they are more nostalgia type pieces than anything else. We spent in the neighborhood of a buck fifty ($150) for each.

I also have one with the flip handle style and find this is quite faster for trim mowing then having to turn the machines at the end of a pass. Our units have the wire mesh grass catchers (1.28 bushel) with the flip down back (like the grass gobbler).

If you need to change the height of cut frequntly, these machines are a PITA because they have bolt on wheels that are not adjustable without wrenches.:( We were fortunate enough to get a 5qt. fuel tank for each. This saves on the fueling where the others we looked at had something like a 1.5 or 2qt tank. Our tanks are smaller replicas of the old fashioned metal deck mower tanks.

Some of the newer machines have the operator presence controls built into a lever on the handle bar and I have also seen others change motors to avoid this on newer models. I have the throttle positioned in the middle on all our models for operator ease. Some of the newer ones are also self propelled too.:)

Good Luck this season!
    Kris