Bobcat 341 Excavator Trade In Or Sell?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrsops, Mar 4, 2008.

  1. mrsops

    mrsops LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,875

    hey guys bobcat offered me 15,000 on a trade in against the s130 which was 24,500 leaving me with a balance of 9500. i did get a few local offers highest one being 17,000. what do you guys feel the best thing to do would be trade it in or sell locally which sometimes turns out to be good or bad
     
  2. RockSet N' Grade

    RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,454

    That's $2,000 difference........if the private offer is for real, I'd take the money. Find out from your dealer if they have any print on the governments "New Stimulus Act" and Section 179 Expensing........that may put a slant on how you purchase new equipment.......
     
  3. mrsops

    mrsops LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,875

    yeah 2000 diff but im also going to be paying tax on 9500 not 24500, but i look at as the machine is old i dont want anybody coming to my shop once something breaks down had that problem already when i sold an older dump truck. i had an offer of 20,000 a month and a half ago i was crazy not to take it..
     
  4. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Posts: 1,484

    If the difference isn't much after you add the taxable amount I would trade, I hate dealing with selling used equipment...bunch of tire kickers usually have no money, then they want to pick your machine apart...trade in and be done with it...
     
  5. mrsops

    mrsops LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,875

    dont get me wrong qps i have sold stuff locally most of the time its not a problem but i did have a problem once.. but if my higest offer is going to be 17000 vs there 15000 trade in it dont sound that bad
     
  6. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,504

    Even after you figure in the taxes your still way ahead to take the cash and run. The money is just as good in your pocket as it is theres. I would tell them though if they are going to buy it from you that they better act fast. I would not want to waste to much time on keeping the machine around.
     
  7. mrsops

    mrsops LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,875

    well there waiting on me to turn it in. you think they would just cut me a check and buy it from me? because im still not positive about buying the s130 yet
     
  8. RockSet N' Grade

    RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,454

    If I could buy a piece of equipment, depreciate it 50% the first year or expense the whole thing the first year, in my case, I would buy the new piece especially with the finance rates the way they are and take the $17k cash and put it in my pocket for payments or working capital........be clear with the customer buying the piece of equipment and have the deal in writing.
     
  9. Fieldman12

    Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,504

    Hmm, well I dont know if they would or not. I would probably see how serious they are. Ask them to cut you a check. I assume you still have your old small skid steer? If so, at least you have something to run if you decide not to buy the 130. Maybe you could purchase the 130 next year since it sounds like you where pretty serious about the Cat mini. Im not sure if you bought it or not.
     
  10. mrsops

    mrsops LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,875

    yeah im going to see how march and april go if i feel like im going to need the cat im going to buy it.. the s130 on there other hand im going to need a little sooner then that im going to have to see what is going on
     

Share This Page