Bobcat 36" leaving strip of uncut grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Apr 15, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Bought this mower off Ebay about a month ago. I have high lift blades on it now, the problem is that its leaving a strip of uncut grass down the center where the blades meet. Ive already had a complaint, so I need some ideas fast. Is 3,340 rpms right, this 14 kawasaki seems to bog down easier than my 32" scag 12.5 kawasaki. Thanks.

2. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Yep, it can be a problem with the bobcats... Bobcats are the only walk behinds I've got any decent amount of stick time behind. I spent most of my time behind a 36" belt drive, and a little bit of time behind a 36" HydroStat. Both are great mowers! I'll still take the belt drive over the hydrostat anyday (way more versatile, lighter weight means I can cut steeper hills safer than the hydrostat; although that reverse on the hydro was nice)

For me, I saw the missed strip very rarely, and it was usually for a maintenance or operator error cause...

First off, make sure the underside of your deck is clean, mulch build-up is one of the major causes. Associated to that, is blade sharpness, and the angle you've sharpened them at. It takes practice to get it just right, but at the right angle, the deck will get polished, it will look like the day it was new (except not painted) no matter what the conditions.

Mine would occasionally do it when I was trying to go too fast in longer grass, or wet condtions. Slowing the pace down a bit was about the best solution.

Can't answer your RPM question. But I know we had my mower set to 3300rpm (except it was a Briggs vanguard 14hp)

Andy

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

if the ends of the blades are rounded that can cause your problem

4. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

They are brand new high lift blades. One thing I noticed is that they say Scag on the bottom of the blade, does that make any difference?

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

They are probably the new Scag Eliminator blades. I have a set. they work great for me. Never had a problem with them .

6. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Did you measure the blades? My dealer gave use 32" blades by accident and the same thing happened with are 36" Yazoo/Kees walkbehind.

7. abj11

abj11 LawnSite Member
    from MN

Try checking checking the trueness of your spindles. A bent spindle will cause the belt to slip under load causing a slower blade tip speed (uncut grass).

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

spacers not right,deck bent back at the edge somewhere.