Bobcat 36" WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Mar 24, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at 2 mid 80's Bobcat/Ransomes 36&quot; walkbehinds today. The company selling them is asking 50$ a piece. Both of them are fairly complete with the exception of front spindles(forks) and tires. Also I would have to buy an engine.<p>I figure I could use both machines to build one decent one. I'd have to buy front spindles(forks), front tires and rims, and an engine. Bearings seemed to be fine on both machines, as did the belts. I plan to use the unit for a backup machine or for gated areas my Lazer won't fit in.<p>Would appreciate any feedback on Bobcat's walkbehinds or other ideas. Does 100 bucks sound worth it?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

go for it! those old bobcats last forever...besides that there light as hell and can be used on any hill with ease. you can put a new engine and do all the other repairs for 800 bucks and youll have yourself basically a new mower.

3. scottlawns

scottlawns Guest

well u say go for it they last forever....i dont think those two did,800.00 bucks is alot to repair a 80's machine,but what to heck do i know.<p>Goodluck Scott

4. Evan528

they do! the engines just dont... and the owner took the front wheels off that wht he needs new ones...i no alot of guys with these old bobcats and they still work everyday...there very simple machines. one guy i no has a 48 bobcat that is so old itsone of the orange ones....new engine but evrything else is original.

5. Jason

They did look very simple, which I like. And the one does have an engine. A kohler with a hole about the size of a fist through the side of the block. :) Thinking Briggs for power, it being cheap power.<p>Evan how do you like the cut of the Bobcat's?

6. Evan528

jason, i dont own a bobcat but like i said i no alot of people using them and they all love the quality of cut. from the bobcats ive seen being used...it really does give a nice cut. dont go with a briggs... a kawasaki is so much better and will last much longer and isnt more than 100 or 150 more. if its striclt a spare than go with the briggs.

7. Buy them Jason. Get one running asap. The<br>complete front forks with tires are around<br>$50 each. Repower with a 12.5hp ohv Tecumseh<br>for $370 and free freight.<p>After your done you will have two &quot;new&quot;<br>36&quot; trimming mowers for $500 each. Much more<br>productivity and qualilty of cut than using<br>and 21&quot; machine.

8. Jason

Sounds good. Don't really need a kawasaki, as the mower(s) would be used for backups or trimmers. <p>Stone: That's a good price for the Tecumseh. Where can I find one for $370? I've had good luck with Tecumseh and Briggs on grain augers in the days when I used to farm. You've got me kind of excited, if I can put both mowers together for a grand, that's one hell of a savings. Initially I was thinking about $700-900 for one. But if I can get that Tecumseh for that price, think I'll put both machines in service. Going to go buy them tomorrow.

9. Jason try http://www.proparts.com/<br>for parts and engine to rebuild the bobcats.

10. Evan528

are the transnissions in good working order? how will you no untill you get them running? that another 150 bucks for a new transmission