bobcat 463 questions.....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by slicksilverado01, Oct 31, 2005.

1. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I am looking to buy the bobcat 463 this spring. I heard both good and bad. It seems what ever product I look at anywhere net or at local retail stores/dealers there are people unhappy and happy with the product.

ok I plan on using the bobcat 463

1. to install lawns typical on 1/2-3/4 acre size lots using the harley rake

2. To trench for downspouts and run power lines to the houses.

3. have a dozer blade to push dirt, gravel, and snow in the winter at the 8 different apartment complexs that I plow. (to clear the walks). I have been plowing them for 4 years now and I always subed the walks out to other ppl.

4. to move brush with the forks and grapple (to load on truck or to a burn
    pile)

5. use the forks to move some small piles of leftover building materials on the site.

6. to install posts with the post hole digger

7. to use the bucket and square up some small hills for a retaining wall

8. to also get into tight areas for landscaping.

I know skid steer can damage lawns pretty bad when turning sharp. can I run this machine on jobs to haul mulch on remulch'n jobs without doing any extensive rutting on the lawn. (and that if it the ground is dry).

I would like all the imput you guys have on this machine. I also want to know what your opinion is on it, if you own one or used one on the job and how many hours have you used it.

thanks

mark

2. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

I forgot to put is in my first post. What is the going rate an hour for a small skid steer like the bobcat 463? there has been a few ppl calling me about that to get betwen close together houses with big bushes in the way. and in back yards with a fence with a 40" opening.

Thanks

Mark

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would probably just get a dingo tx425 or boxer mini skid. You will have to buy all attachments for the 463 new and not used. I think if the unit does not have tracks it will tear up any yard. I think you would be better off w/ a dingo even though you have to stand on the things. I would buy an ASV rc30 before that bobcat... but the rc30 is gutless.

4. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

I want a sit down machine. I cant stand on a bouncy things my knees ache alot and I am 22 my knees are going to be worthless when I am 30 if I stand on that damn little walk behinds. Plus I want to be able to load from the side on a one ton with sides. I know the bobcat has foot pedel for the boom and bucket I Have used my father 773 alot and I am pretty comfy with the foot pedals and my knees. How is the 553 compared to to 463? I mean as power v power I know it is 48" wide vs 36 and weighs about 1K more.

5. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

for one I hate the dingo...only 4.6" of ground clearance plus no diesel option? I am going to all diesel equipment. no more gas for me. cept the old beater truck.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do lawn installs on half to 3/4 acre lots, a 463 or Dingo or anything less than a 6' width is the wrong tool for the job.

We run a 463 to back up the wider machines we have when they can't gain access. The 463 is a little workhorse, in my opoinion, 2 times the machine any of the stand ons are for the same money, and like everything has limitations. Those being, the cab is tight. Top heavyness. The 463 will beat you up and it is tippy. It is very limited in larger work, so, if it is a Bobcat you want, look at the 7, or 8 series.

7. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto to above^ opinion.

Don't forget that for all its Bobcat characteristics the 463 can only lift 700lbs.
    We stick to maintenance no construction, and it suits us just fine, but I would not feel confident taking it into full construction jobs. Stick with the larger machines

In regards to snow we love it, again with limitations.It will load salters, but only the size for pick-up trucks. In apts and townhouses, it will out-plow a truck in very tight situations. We got the SB 150 attachment last year and not much will stop it. sidewalk clearing and chewing through frozen snowbanks.

8. miacharger

miacharger LawnSite Member

I have to admit that the 4 series Bobcats are too tiny to be comfortable. I have used a M-610 for many years around the house, and have moved trees, done grading and moved mulch all over the place, on my lawn and some others. I did see a 4 series Bobcat in use and it got stuck in the mud after a quick rain. Unless you're using it for construction cleanup or very tiny city lots, I would go with a 7 series machine if possible. I think that any machine narrower than 5 feet is a bit too unstable for work on soft surfaces. As for damaging lawns it really depends on who will operate the machine. When I do mulching I make sure that no turns are very tight and never tear up much grass. When the bucket is empty you can wheelie for the turns to prevent digging in. I wouldn't try that with a 4 series Bobcat. Adding tracks doesn't really seem to help, in fact I think they rip up more grass. You may also consider using a forklift type attachment like the forkster which allows you to lift up the front or rear to stop the skidding. Also using wider but smooth tires reduces the chance of ruts. THis may not be possible on a small machine.

9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

check out the mt52 or the mt 55 they are great machines. Bobcat also offers the diesel opt in both the 52 and 55 as a matter of fact i think it is standard

10. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

all right guys I have been doing some checking and am now looking really the s130 is slightly out of budget.

I did notice the 553 at 48" wide compared to 36" on the 463 plus ROC is 950 compared to 700 on the 463 it has a slightly bigger engine and more gpm on the hydro pump. I am really looking into getting into specialized work in tighter areas. everyone around here has a 773 or bigger but not a smaller one. same with excavators. also there are no more lots that are 3/4 acre they are all under 1/2 an acre. I want to buy the bobcat 553 so I dont have to rent alot of equipment anymore. I normally install 20 yards and landscape (on new homes) a year in 5 different neighborhoods. and relandscape 35 homes. I wish I can afford a bigger unit. I have a wife and 2 kids (one is 1 years old and the other 10 months) to feed and house payments.

Well I am going to the dealer pretty in a few hours. I am still going to look at the s130...

mark