bobcat 463

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rosolar, Aug 18, 2005.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I currently do mostly lawn maintnance (mowing, mulch, edging, plants, spring/fall clean ups, fert., etc.) I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 bobcat 463 w/700 hrs ont it. I am interested in expanding my services and this seemed to be a good machine and price to start with. I was planning on advertising for paddock work, such as fence installation and cleaning out the paddocks. It would also allow me to bulk order mulch.

Does $7000 seem like a good deal? I believe they are like 15k new.
    Does this seem like a good machine to start with?
    What other services bring you the most $ with a bobcat?
    Any one have a 463 and have comments about it?

thanks

2. StoneStacker

StoneStacker LawnSite Member
    from OR

IMHO the 463 is a dust pan with wheels. However, if the price is right....and you don't need it to do any extensive digging....?

You could possibly look into a dingo, ramrod, Bobcat MT@@, or even a RC-30. I'm sure that you could find any of those products in a "used" condition.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

The 463 as said above is not much of a digging machine. Its ok if all you have is a five foot access. Its better than a wheel barrow and five guys with shovels. What it is handy for it material moving. Light weight, bulk material. Mulch; road salt. What ours evolved into was doing close quarter snow clearing. Lots that are never closed so you can never get a complete clean push at them. 24 hour factories, townhouses, apartments. Picked-up our SB-150 snow blower last December at the height of the first major storm. It sucks back the diesel, but can move snow out of the way 4 times faster the straight bucket. It travels with the plow truck and does detail work in the corners and breaks through city piled snow drifts. It can pay for itself bulk salt handling and snow blowing.

4. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a job I'm doing right now with a machine thats less than a 400 series. I'd rather have a mini ex for this but you use what you have!

You decide.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A nice little machine. I would go for $6500. payup They are great little machines. But shine when it snowing. Just get a 42" power angling snow plow. Best thing for doing side walks for apartment complexes.

I was going to buy a (can't remember the number) 16hp kohler bobcat. With two 42" buckets for $3500. But didn't get back fast enough. :cry:

6. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

You mention paddocks, you must be in a horse area. If you want to get into fencing, you have to know what you are talking about with the horse owners, you'll find that a lot of them are very particular about their 'oversize pets'. (I know too, because my wife and I have about 10 horses here of our own.) Fencing can be a very good business of it's own, if in the right market, and if you provide the right sort of fencing.

As far as the machine goes, what comes with it? If it only has a bucket, be prepared to buy extra attachements for it, some of them aren't cheap. Also, you don't say what you have for moving it with, they are a small 'light' machine, but if you have to unload your mowing equipment and load the skid steer each time you go to do a job, that is all time you can't really be paid for. (If you are doing straight skid steer work for someone though, travel or 'float time' can be charged) For example, I charge $50/hour for my mini excavator, from time I leave home to time I return. That includes loading/unloading, chaining down at the site etc. Having it's own trailer, I can often just unhook the trailer when it's at home, unless I have maintenance or work to do at home.

Remember if you get into snow removal, to depreciate the machine and your truck/trailer faster, because of the exposure to the salt/snow will take it's toll on stuff.

Another avenue is to see if someone else has a mini excavator that it would compliment, maybe you can get some work to do together, I do that with a guy that has a skid steer. Often he'll get me in to dig jobs, while he removes the material. Or the other way around. We each find our own work, but will 'hire' the other when needed, that way you have reliable operators on both machines. Eventually I will buy my own ssl, but even then I'll likely hire him from time to time if it's a better option.

If/when you do get a machine like this, make sure to spend some time in it before going to do a job....you don't want to be learning controls on the first job you do. Get the time in so that you are comfortable with it, then start looking for some straight forward jobs first, you don't want to be working on extreme slopes right off the bat either (and we don't want to read about you in the obituary column)

7. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

This correct in a lot of ways.... Bobcats are top heavy and slopes for a beginner are a complete no-no. :nono:

If you've never driven a Bobcat before, get very comfortable with the controls on flat land moving a few dirt piles. Then advance to VERY SLIGHT slopes. You should start to feel comfortable within a day or so, but each job is different. Always be aware of the tilt of the machine and your surroundings. Although its a small machine, it is in no way a toy. It can kill you or someone else.

8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have not spent any time in a 463 but have spent around 25 hours in a 443 and being 6'2" tall it is fairly cramped in there. Especially when it comes to working the foot controls, with it being cramped I could never use my heels to tilt the bucket up or put the arms down. I always had to use the tip of my boots which was uncomfortable after a while and started to get cramps in my legs.

If you are a taller guy you might want to spend a couple minutes in it first to make sure you "Fit" alright.

I am able to operate the buckets on my Dingo much smoother when digging and grading then I would have ever been able to in my friends 443 Bobcat.

9. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the feedback. a nice thing about the 463 is that my mowing trailer could handle it, so I would have to spend $1k+ on a new trailer. I just am skeptical of whether the bobcat will pay for itself. I know it has the 48in. bucket, how much material will that hold, 1/2 yard? Do all 2002 and newer bobcats have the setup for attachments, such as the auger?

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The 463 is a good little machine if you have the application. We have numerous places we can't get the 257's into, and you need a 36" wide machine. So, we use either the 463 and an Ingersol-Rand power wheel barrow, and/or the 463 with a 301.8 Cat mini X to fill the power wheel barrow. Production is up, labor is down. The price being asked seems marginally high, but not to way out there that I would call it a rip off. I think you should be able to wiggle them down a bit, particularly if you have cash and are willing vs someone and lip service and no cash.