Bobcat 48

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nepatsfan, Sep 8, 2004.

1. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 48 inch bobcat without the electric pto. The blades wont stay engaged. Im sure there is a process for adjusting the blades like there is for the brakes and tracking. I cant figure out how to get it right where it works right consistently. If anyone could explain this too me it would be really helpful.

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Bob-Cat mower with an electric PTO ( Which I love!!!!!) I would say, to check under the deck cover and under the engine platform for adjustments, or just look in your owners manual.

3. nepatsfan

I also have a bobcat 48 w/ 15hp electric pto. I have looked all over and there are many adjustments which i have made. The problem is it never runs right and i was wondering if there is a certain process to adjusting the blades(like there is for brakes and tracking). There are a few different adjustments and sometimes it gets a little worse and sometimes it gets better, but just when i think i have it, I try to go a little more with that adjustment and it screws up again. Its a backup mower for me so i only notice it when i have a problem with my other mower. I will poke around in there again though. Thanks

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

ok, here's the real deal. I am just down the road from you...I am in Bellingham. I have some of the older bobcats, with the centrifical pulley under the deck. Is that what you have? You should have the handle on the dashboard", with the long rod down to the deck. From that it is connected back to the lever by the transmission. From there forward to the tensioner pulley on the main belt from the motor to the blades. The tensioner pulley should have several holes for adjustments. The first thing to look for is BENT rods. If any, straighten them out or buy new. Second is your swivel adjusters, make sure that the inside threads on them are not stripped-out. Then it is just a matter of adjusting so that the rods push the blade pulley forward enough to end up with the correct tension up against the main blade belt. I am on here most every evening. Try your hand at it again, then just e-mail your questions if it doesn'twork for you. Worse comes to worse, I can come over and adjust it for you. Let us know how you make out. GO PATS...JIM.

5. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would check your PTO switch and Operator presence switch. The belts are spring tensioned and have nothing to do with the clutch staying on. The clutch is electric so it has to do with the electrical system.

6. jim dailey

Hey Mowerman;
    Original post says WITHOUT electric clutch. Just making a correction.

7. nepatsfan

Thanks Jim, I think it is the same set up you are talking about. The mower is about 4 years old...I think the last one before they started doing the electric ones. Im gonna try again but i think i did all those. The only thing im not sure of is a bent rod or stripped threads. I think i do have a bent rod but thanks for the help. If i cant get it fixed im gonna take you up on that.

8. jim dailey

OK, no problem...just send me a p.m., and we can get together.

9. nepatsfan

jim, small world....i go out with your niece melissa..i was on the computer and she saw your name. Thats weird, havent looked at the mower again since last post though

10. jim dailey

OK, today (saturday) is crappy enough for you to have the mower inside and fixing it. If you have to, disconnect the bent rod and straighten it out. Worse comes to worse, go to Norfolk Power and buy a new one and replace it. If you run into problems, p.m.me or get my number from Melissa.