Bobcat 553

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ToroLandscaper, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not really looking at the bobcat 553 but they do interest me there is no way i could buy one now but i do want to ask a couple questions.....First one can you put a backhoe attchment on a 553 and if you can is it worth a damn lol........second i was thinking of being able to load mulch into a truck and on bigger jobs moving mulch around.......what are your guys comments on this machine? And about what is the average cost of one of these and what is the amount of hours you would buy one with.

Any comments apreciated

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

You can put a backhoe on a 553, but what do you want to dig? Anything you do dig will probably be pretty slow going. If you want to use the 553 as a trenching machine, you'd probably be better off with a mini-ex (erm, 325-size or so). And what trucks do you plan to load? Pickups? 10-wheelers? How much mulch do you want to move?

I know that's a lot of specific questions, but the 553 will be able to do everything you mentioned... just not on a very large scale.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

If i got one i would load pickup trucks etc.. And about home much mulch i would move would be like around bigger jobs to drop off scoops.....Would this be capable of diding out a pond?? (i know it would be harder with a b.hoe attachment) but would it do it? Another thing is how deep would the backhoe dig.

4. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

A pond may be at the far end of the 553's capabilities. A small pond in good ground (moist loam, or sandy material) won't be too bad, but if you hit clay, the 553 will be too light to do it on its own. With a backhoe attachment, you could use that to get past the clay/trouble spots, but it'll probably take a while. (I'm imagining this pond to be about, oh, at least 20 ft x 20 ft, with an average depth no more than five feet.)

The backhoe attachment that would fit the 553 is the 506, which has a digging depth of only 6 feet.

Mulch, as long as you're not trying to use the loader to keep mulch going out to jobsites all day, you should be okay. Given a dump of mulch on a lawn, you should be able to handle (spread it) in a few hours.

553 will be able to load pickups, but nothing with sideboards higher than about seven feet.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The 553 is a very small machine. Mainly for nursery and small piece work where shovels and wheelbarrows are the only other option. An S130 (or 763 I believe) is as small as I would go.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

I posted a lengthy response last night and it didn't go through. Oh well...to summarize:

I've got a 553 and yes it'll load a dump truck, and it'll do most everything you want it to. But it is slower and weaker than it's big brothers and if you can upsize then you should. As far as an excavator attachment? I rent a mini-x. It's much more capable and allows the bobcat to be used for removing the spoils.

My 553 was just under $30k Canadian.

7. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

The S150 is actually a 763. A S130 is a 753 I believe.

8. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

There's no point to this post, but yes, the S130 replaces the 753.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My bad. As soon as they went to the "S" series, I've been screwed up ever since. Apparently it was supposed to be easier to understand, it still throws me off.

10. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

I liked the old numbering system, too, because it was distinctively Bobcat. Other than the 963 (shared by Cat's track loader 963) and the 873 (Schaeff/Terex's 873 wheel loader), you would be hard pressed to think that a 763 wouldn't be a skid steer.

But yeah, if you'll be digging, look for a used 763G... if you have the funds, it would be far better to go with a 1500-ROC machine for what you specified. If you don't, perhaps renting one in the interim would help -- if you really want to try the 553, go ahead and see how it goes. I may be overestimating the scope of your projects.