Bobcat 610 anyone?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobp, May 18, 2002.

1. bobp

bobp LawnSite Member

Hi folks,

Anyone out there maintaining an old friction clutch chain drive Bobcat? My 610 was made around 1970. Wisconsin VH4D gas engine (4 cyl, 100 ci, about 30 hp), operating weight about 4000 lbs and lift capacity about 2000 lbs.

I would like to compare notes with anyone else nursing one along - dealing with the oil bath clutches, the varispeed sheave speed control, all the odd leaks... and new and used parts sources...

It is a neat machine but it was not designed to be easy to work on.

It is my general pile mover and all-terrain forklift, and has done some digging using the lift forks to rip. It has the 5' construction bucket, and I made my own bob-tach frame to fit a set of 48" forks.

Bob

2. bobcatsyd

bobcatsyd LawnSite Member

I have a Bobcat 610 with a Wisconcin gas engine. Do you know anywhere I can buy attachments. The bob-tach is no longer the universal size and I can't even rent attachments. This has been a great machine. I just put a new starter and alternator in it. It runs great and the hydraulics are like new.

3. bobp

bobp LawnSite Member

The 610's bob-tach looks different but are you really sure it doesn't fit the current generation of attachments?

There are a bunch of outfits that sell attachments for modern skid steers, one is:

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/

Maybe they can help - either with information or with attachments to fit the 610.

Bob

4. bobcatsyd

bobcatsyd LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info.

5. dunringill

dunringill LawnSite Member
    from nc

My 610 has the vh4d. It has some problems.

I have to jiggle the choke for about 5 minutes to keep it running when it first cranks, once it gets warm it will run fine.

I can't use the high gear, every time I try the pulley jumps off.

It was used on a chicken farm for pushing poop. So the hydraulics were rarely used and are in great shape.

I'm thinking it may be sucking air in somewhere causing the rough cold idle any ideas or pointers?

I use it for my own yard work only, so it's handy to have around. It's amazing though how big of a tree you can pushover with the thing.

6. bobp

bobp LawnSite Member

Hi,

I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and air filter some years ago, that improved starting and running. The plug threads were galled (aluminum head) on the front half so I have not pulled them to check condition since, as they will probably strip coming out That should be a minor helicoil job assuming the head comes off OK.

Hi, I don't know about the choke or carb, have literally never touched them, or the distributor, or governor, in the 12 years owning the machine. Your starting problem may just be a minor carb adjustment, a screw could have worked its way closed.

Needing choke is also a sign of restricted fuel flow, i.e. fuel filter, or the carb needing a solvent cleaning.

If your machine gets wet where it is stored, the condition of the plug wires and distributor cap will affect starting.

About sucking air, mine developed a crack in the intake manifold, this engine has a single casting that is a combined intake & exhaust manifold. An intake leak on one bank or cylinder can overhead and burn the valves due to the lean condition. I wire brushed the crack and packed in "JB Weld" which has held so far. I did buy a replacement manifold casting on ebay and will install it someday.

Can you be more specific about the belt jumping off? I can't see how it could actually come off the pulleys. I don't know what the effect of a worn, too short or too long belt would be.

This site is pretty cool, I never check it but it sends email when someone replies to an old thread.

Bob

7. dunringill

dunringill LawnSite Member
    from nc

As i mentioned, the pulley comes off. Not the belt. The tapered shaft has a keayway and the pulley just sits on there. Pressed on somewhat. But everytime I use the high gear, the pulley comes off of the shaft. Leaving me to put in a new key and tapping the pulley back on.

8. northwar

northwar LawnSite Member

I have a great running bobcat 610 that has a direct attach to cylinder tie rods bucket on it and I would like to get a used working bob-tach so I can get a fork lift attachment for it. I don't know where to start looking and could sure use a little help. My 610 drives very slow also which is not a big problem for me but it have read that some of the 610's ( if not all of them ) have a high gear. If any one has some insight on that, that would be great too.

9. Fhore

Fhore LawnSite Member

What does the hande on the left do about knee high? I bought a snowblower but I am unable to use it, no enough pressure?

10. northwar

northwar LawnSite Member

The handle to the left of your left knee is the speed adjustment. With the 610 running push the handle forward and it will tighten the drive belt up which in turn speeds up the drive pump. Just be careful because take off can be very fast and the front two wheels might come off the ground. Then pull back on the handle and it will slow down ( loosing the drive belt). Now as far as the hydraulic preasure is concerned, I am not sure but will try to find out for you. It dose seem to me that the hydraulic preasure would increase with the hydro system also with that same handle (maybe). I will reply in a couple days. Good luck Fhore.