1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat 720

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by geckos, Mar 29, 2008.

1. geckos

geckos LawnSite Member

Hello guys I have an old 1978 Bobcat 720. Heres the problem the right side does not move and the right side hydrolic motor is leaking oil out or the weep hole while the unit is in nuetral. when I try to make it go on the right side it shoots the fluid out of the weep hole. I have removed the hydo motor and it is in good working order. I have rebuilt the Hydrostatic pumps and checked the High pressure relief valves and they seem to be in good working order. I will be changing the 2 filters and I am looking for any ideas about what could be causing the fluid to leak out. it seams like a valve is stuck open but I cant find one that is bad.

Please help out if you have any experience with this machine
  2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

My dad has had one for years. He certainly could tell you. The machine is always blowing seals or leaking from somewhere. He finally listened to me an bought a 430 although he kept the 721. It sounds like maybe you have a bad hose or line after the pump. I know it is hard to see in and work on this machine. I will ask him and see what he says.
  3. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

30 years old and the machine is still going. good for you man thats a bobcat for you
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

That's when they knew how to build a skid steer, 20 years later, the quality went down the sh*tter like a bad burrito.
  5. geckos

geckos LawnSite Member

OK so I changed filters and got my manual in the mail and found that the fluid coming out the weep hole is called case drain and is normal so the wheel still would not turn on the right side and I found that the parking brakes were improperly adjusted and were catching the wheels and not letting them turn so I have fixed that and now the machine will drive about 10 feet and then quit moving and the hydro Pressure light comes on when I try to move it. When I put it back in neutral the light goes back off so I am going to change the by-pass valve and see if it fixes the problem.
    Thanks to all for reading and Please if you have any thoughts please respond all help would be appreciated.
    will keep updating as I try more things