1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat 873 price

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turfdog, Nov 4, 2002.

1. turfdog

turfdog LawnSite Member
    from NE

Considering purchasing a bobcat 873 skid-steer with 1200 hours. 96 or 97 model. Good to very good condition for $15000. Good or bad price? Any known problems or dislikes about this model? Are the current models similar to this one in controls, user friendliness, etc.
  2. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Sounds reasonable if in good condition. We purchased a new unit last spring with cab for +/- $26,000.00 Nice unit, does everything we want, but it weighs close to 9,000 lbs, so be sure you can tow it safely.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Northern Tools has used Bobcats listed in their catalogs. Right now they have 2 - 1998's, one with less than 2500 hours for $19.5. The other with less than 200 hours for $22.5K.
  4. Silver_odd_o

Silver_odd_o LawnSite Member
    from MN

I've heard mixed reviews about em. We've always used 843's and 853's. I'm told anything newer in the 8 series 863 and 873 uses a duets (sp) motor thats air cooled, so instead of a cooling system it uses the motor oil to cool it, and alot of it, the problem comes when you go an oil change, you only get 6 quarts, while theres a ton of oil in coolers all over the place that just doesnt get changed, just diluted and mixed into the new oil. This doesn't sound like a very good system IMO. There are a TON of em out there but I would have to think that down the road there will be problems. Does anyone have any more infor or experience with this one?
    Also theres a linkage for the skidsteer controls that needs adjustment, when its out of adjustment it'll "creep", A friend has a pretty new 873 thats got very low hours ( less than 500) and has been babied and its already had to been adjusted a few times. Set the brake and its not a big deal I dont think but its somthing you should know about
  5. turfdog

turfdog LawnSite Member
    from NE

I did find a bobcat 873 about 1 month ago. 1998 model 1100 hours with cab/heat, larger bucket and weights for $15000. I needed the larger size for the lift capacity.
  6. www.traderonline.com

Go to equipment, click search type in 873 to keyword and 10-15 will come up way less than that price.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Buddy of mine said that Bobcat is running great specials now. He was telling me a new 753 was running around 16K with rebate and 4 yrs 0% financing. Might check into the specials they are running now.