1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat attachment questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Husky05, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone please tell me the difference between a Harely Rake and a Rock Hound and what you might want the different attachments for? I have a bobcat 753 model and I do alot of seeding and installing new lawns, I was starting to look into these attachments but everyone I talk to tells me they are two totally different things. Any help/advice would be great. Thanks!
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A Harley rake is just that, a rake. You can angle it like a blade to windrow debris, use side wings to catch material and push it down a pass, lots of different uses. A rockhound, however, does only one thing, it picks up rock and debris. It does prepare the ground for seed very nicely, but it will not grade soil and make a cut like a Harley can. I've cut 6-8" off a knob and placed it in a low spot with our Harley, pretty tough to do that with a hound. For some people a rockhound is better as it picks the rock as you go through a pass and there's no stockpiling involved, but I'll spend a little more time stockpiling with a Harley and load the spoils with a bucket later.
  3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i feel the Harley rake is a much better investment. it will windrow rocks and other debris. all you have to do is scrape them up with the bucket after.
  4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

if you would like to see a visual on the bobcat site the bobcat landscape rake is basically a rock hound and the bobcat soil conditioner is very similar to a harley rake. they have videos of both in action. good luck,
  5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

If you are doing new home high production installs the rock hound is really good.

If you are more concerned with quality and versatility then the Harley rake is the ticket.
    The seed bed it leaves is hard too beat.
  6. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

A harley rake is the most amazing piece of equipment, I have ever used.
    I had 10,000 sq ft to prepare for seed, it was clay and eroded,I started running over it with the harley rake and it was amazing.
    In no time at all this place looked like a crew of men had worked this place over by hand for a few days.
    I had no idea what this thing could do,it brought up top soil that I had no idea was even their.
    It really saved the day,literaly we were in and out in one day.
    Two of use put in the sediment barrier prepared the yard,seeded and spread straw by hand collected the money in eight hours.
    Not bad for a 49 year old guy and my 70 year old helper.
    I would say anybody doing landscaping and has a skidsteer should own a harley rake.
  7. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

sorry hit the wrong button
  8. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

Before and afters using a harley rake for the first time and had no instruction on it's operation.
  9. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! it worked
  10. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow sunray that is really amazing. It definitely looks like its a huge time saver. That is the kinda jobs that I have gotten into lately and mainly do everything by hand, but now that I have a bobcat in my arsenal I think im going to try and get or rent a harley rake.

Did you ever go back and take pictures of the lawn after the seed came in?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, and suggestions.