Bobcat blade overlap

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rick Danger, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Rick Danger

Rick Danger LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hi Guys.
    I was thinking about buying a new 36" Bobcat. I had them years ago, and because the blades didn't overlap much, as soon as they would get a little bit worn, they would leave a strip of un-cut grass in the middle of the cut. It was a real pain in the ***. I was wondering if the newer machines had this fixed.

2. Fireman D

Fireman D LawnSite Member

I have 2 Bob-Cat mowers, 48"wb and 52"ztr. I haven't had any problem with either one of them. Actually the blades for the 48' are (3) 16.25", that equals 48.75". The blades for the 52" are (3) 18", that equals 54". The blades for both of my mowers overlap and I haven't had any problem with them leaving any uncut grass. Too bad more people don't post stuff on here about Bob-Cat mowers so that we can maybe learn something new about them.

3. Rick Danger

from NJ

Thanks Fireman.

4. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Rick I am not trying to be an a** but I think maybe in the past with the old bobcats you might have had some bad maintanance on you blades. Fireman I don't see a lot of them around here but I have heard that they are pretty cheaply made. I am not saying for sure cause like I said I have not seen too many around.
    There is a bobcat/toro dealer in town and he told a buddie of mine who is in the LCB that the bobcat was a pisspour machine. Tell me if you have ran anyother brand of mowers and how they compare to a bobcat I am interested to know. Thanks

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Blades are cheap, don't use them to the point where the ends are worn out. Could your problem have been deck pitch and/or speed? BTW--I don't believe any dealer. They're sales people and are biased. I guess I'm biased also because I own a Bob-Cat and plan to buy more. The only way to get accurate info is to DEMO for yourself. Even repair info can be biased because not everyone performs maint. like they should.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

In this part of the country you will see almost more bobcats than you will any thing else,beside toro!They are very well built and ransome which is who makes them have there hand in almost everything in the green industry."Piss pour made"I think not.Sure they are a little cheaper than some of the other mowers but if you would demo them all you would hardly find any differences.The only mower that did have a big differance was the other green mower(john deere)I called them and told them to come and get it while i was in the middle of a demo.It broke down on me twice in about 3 hrs.If you ask me if you ask me that john deere is very piss pour made as well as very over priced.Rick Danger.buy a bob cat and you will not be sorry.:)

7. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry but do not judge JD on one mower that you demoed. You may have gotten a bad machine or one that was not maintained. If it was a demo you should know that it probably was not taken care of. I use all JD equipment and love it. I gave up using Exmark last year and will continue using JD. I was not slamming bobcat just said that I had heard what I stated. Like I said as well I do not see many around so it is hard to judge them, and no I have no experience with one at all and do not plan to have any.

8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Textron's turf group is located in Charlotte as is Husqvarna. Gravely used to be in Clemmons(Winston-Salem). On a side note, that finance company that offers the deals to all the dealers like the eXmark promo is in Clemmons. The regional distributor for Bob-Cat is in Winston-Salem, that may account for why there are so many in this area. Cheap? I'd like to know where you guys are finding these cheap Bob-Cat's, I'll come and get a few. Last years open house price on 48" gear drive with 14 kaw was $2500 retail was around $2800.

9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be disagreeable, but the claim that bobcat blades overlap is flat out wrong. I have owned four bobcat walkbehinds and purchased my newest two years ago. These blades do not overlap each other and cannot because there is no timing mechanism on them to prevent them from hitting each other. If you mount your blades and position two of them next to each other you will see that they will not touch. However, they are effective enough at vacuming that they do not leave any uncut grass stripes between the blades.

I also own a walker and these blades do have a true overlap, which is why the gearboxes are set up at 90 degrees to one another, so there is no chance of these blades whacking each other as they spin.

Not bashing at all and love my bobcats, just pointing out that their blades do not overlap each other so that misinformation is not passed along.

CMerrick

10. Rick Danger

from NJ

Blade overlap (in this case) means that one blade is mounted slightly behind the other so that the two cuts overlap.