Bobcat E80???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by superdigger, May 29, 2012.

1. superdigger

superdigger LawnSite Member

Looking at getting a bobcat E80 or E60. Leaning toward the bigger E80 but there is not a lot of information on these machines. I know they are just rebranded doosan DX80 machines but I dont know how they stack up against the other machines in this class. The thing is that I have a really good bobcat dealer that i like to work with, so if the E80 is a decent machine then I 'd like to just go with who I know. Any input on these machines?
    Thanks...

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I tried one out a few years back when one hit our dealer's yard, 1 word to describe it, SLOW. Side mounted engine excavators don't do well, just ask anyone with a Volvo mini excavator.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't tried out an E80 yet but, what ever you do don't buy an E60. Just get an E50 with the long arm option and counter weight if you want that size machine. Compare the E50 and E60's stats and you will see why, the smaller E50 out performs it in almost every category. I own an E50, have about 650hrs on it and love it.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What about the e55?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 1toomanyhobbies

1toomanyhobbies LawnSite Member

My concern about the E80 would be parts. Since they would come from Doosan and there aren't that many E80s around, how long would it take to get a part if you are on a job and something breaks?

6. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How often do excavators break?

Most reliable machine on a jobsite by far.

7. 1toomanyhobbies

1toomanyhobbies LawnSite Member

Agreed...but they still do break. So back to my original question, when it does, how long will it take to get parts?

8. Asphalt/Dirt Man

Asphalt/Dirt Man LawnSite Member

Demo'd one.
    While it was slow in the lot, just tinkering around. Out in the dirt it was just fine. It had certain movements you had to learn to speed it up. They lack a shut-off for the swing boom like the caterpillars have. The 308d's have a shut off of swing boom which speeds them.

Overall it was a good machine. Good power, never noticed any rocking due to the engine set up. I was ready to pull the trigger on one, accounting wasnt. haha

9. Cornell

Cornell LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We are about to purchase a Doosan DX180LC, they have a 48hr guarantee on parts and if they can't get it there in the 48hr window they pay for your rental.

It seems the parts I break are always the ones they don't have in stock anyways and I have to wait a decent amount of time to get them or have to pay a lot of $$$ for overnight shipping.

Excavators are the most reliable machine on a jobsite. I am just having to start to replace little things on our Case CX160 now and it has 3300 hours on it. Most of the pieces that break are from the abuse the boulders take on the machine and I expect it to have little issues because of what we use the machine for.

As for a new excavator that is just used for digging, brush cutting and little demo work I just don't see them breaking down unless they are neglected or abused severely.

10. manatarms

manatarms LawnSite Member

I think the E55 specs are interesting. I have compared the manufacturers numbers between the E50 and E55 (as well as those from Kubota U55 and KX057), which required doing some conversions from European standards. Anyway, the E55 seems unusually weak compared to the the E50. Not sure why. Obviously geometry plays a part. Are the E50 an E55 exactly the same in terms of horsepower and pump specs? IDK..just seems to me like the there is too much difference.