Bobcat engine trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ferris_1972, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

I have a 54'' Bobacat(Ransomes) that has been sitting for about a year. I am trying to get it running so I can get rid of it. It was tuned up prior to it sitting. It is a Hydro. The mower will now start no problem but when I put the blades on or I put the mower out of neutral the engine will stop running. The carb is ok the throttle seems ok. There is a butterfly valve? that is right behind the carb that seems to be closing when the blades are engaged. Model number is Ransomes-930307 with a Kawasaki engine FH500V-ASO8. Any help in fixing or locating a service manual would help thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the throttle shaft in the carb. is gummed up and sticking, Get a can of carb. choke cleaner and spray the throttle shaft while moving it open and closed and see if that wont do it. If not post back, I know of no online service manuals but I can post any pages you may need.

3. ferris_1972

The throttle and carb are moving fine it is that the governor slams shut once the mower is started and then the rpm's aren't enough to rotate the blades or take the mower out of neutral. Can you send me any pages you have that detail the workings of the governor or the interior of the motor. Thanks.

4. Restrorob

5. Restrorob

Here is a pic. of the Governor Assembly and Breakdown. You may check the governor adjustment and the no load RPM.

Attached Files:

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Quote "The mower will now start no problem but when I put the blades on or I put the mower out of neutral the engine will stop running."

From that description, I would look for a safety switch that is cutting the motor off, not an actual carb/motor problem.

deej

7. Restrorob

Good one deej, That went right by me ;) I'm sure thats the problem.

8. ferris_1972

OK where would i find the safety switch?

9. Restrorob

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Bobcat line but with a little more info. I may be able to help. Is it a WB or a ZTR ? Does it have a electric PTO clutch or manual engagment ?

10. ferris_1972

It is a walkbehind, with a manual engagement for the blades.