1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Hydro Hose

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mack77, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a 2005 Bobcat ZTR with a bad hydro hose. I would like to change the hose myself, however I do not know if this is pressurized. I will obviously be doing this while the machine is not running, it looks like a simple job- unscrew the old, and replace.

Any comments are appreciated!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There is no pressure if the engine is not running, Simple as you stated.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Rob...do you have to put teflon tape on those threads? I assume you should change oil after putting on a new hose? Is it better to change the filter/oil before running it for the first time after putting on the hose?
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a standard type pipe thread it is a good idea to use Teflon tape but not needed on compression type fittings. If the hydro oil hasn't been changed recently now would be the time to do it. If not changing the oil blowing the new hose out with compressed air will assure nothing is inside that could get into the system.

Bleed the system same as you posted in this thread which works just fine;

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Shouldnt need tape on those. Most of the time they are JIC or basically some type of connection that does not seal on the threads weather it be tapered, o-ring or whatever.

Just make sure the new one is clean and make sure you dont drop anything into the pump or motor fittings and keep them clean.

You may want to use hose pinch pliers on the feed/return lines going from the pump to the tank so you dont have a mess everywhere from it leaking out after you remove the hose.

As for changing the oil, I would have to lookup and see when Bobcat recommends an oil change. Generally its not for quite some time. I think the filter changes may be every 500 hours or something.
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I just looked. They actually say change the fluid AND filter at 500 hours. Also you are supposed to change the fluid AND filter after the first 5 hours of use. I doubt anyone does the latter...LOL...probably few that do the former. Heck, there are few that even change the filter itself.