Bobcat Hydro Walk Behind - opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strongmd, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I'm currently using walkers and scags. The scags have the new advantage deck. I'm not happy with the new scags and I think I'm going to switch to another line. Anyone have experience with Bobcat walk-behinds that they'd like to share? I'm looking at the hydro model w/17hp kawi and the fixed deck.

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Cant break em...unless you dont take care of them. I am friends with a bunton,bobcat,ariens,great dane dealer and the mower you see in there the least is bobcat then great dane. Strong run good dont worry bout the thing just take care of it and you will do fine. The hydro models are nice and smoothe only down side is the fact that the pistol grip is a bit to far out to reach for my fingers when going the full 8.5 mph speed.

3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We're very happy with our Bob-Cats. I just wish we would've got a Hydro WB instead of a belt drive. The Kawasakis run great!

4. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

I've got two bobcats one a 54" hydro and a new 61 " ZTR with the 23hp Kawi. The 54" is a very dependable machine and it stripes better than most mowers I've seen. I would get the Kawi engine
    before the B&S. You cant go wrong with a Bobcat.

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget the price! Bob-Cats are very reasonable.

6. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Another option is to go to Boston Lawnmower and look at the Gravely.

You might like it.

Barry

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Another option, yes, but this thread was about bobcats. I have an older 48 inch belt drive xm model (it's my backup machine for the Lesco)and I love this mower! Never needs anything! I want to see the new models with the floating deck. Anyone seen/used one?

8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

The new bobcats go faster than the old because of the tire change,they had to raise it for the floating decck,one thing I liked is the electric clutch and it takes 5min to get the deck off,They have a problem with the brakes that they are working on,the new design would be less effort to squeeze the handles,and have the distance shorter,the engineer told me that they feel the drums are to hard and it is making the pads glaze over in a short period of time giving it a squealing effect when applied,otherwise they seem like a good machine and out of the 9 I sold this problem has been with two,email me if you have any other questions

9. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Dave,
    It seems you're referring to the belt drive/floating deck, I'm talking about the hydro drive/fixed deck, do you have any input on this?

10. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

A couple of features I like about the bobcat are
    -sealed bearings - no more daily greasing
    -spring loaded blade belt, no more belt adjustments? hopefully,
    -I like the way the engine deck connects to the cutter deck better than scag, I had a lot of problems with scag's bolts loosening up on me.
    -I like the deck style better than the scag advantage, it holds a grass gobbler better
    -not sure yet, but I think I also like the parking brake better on the bobcat than on the scag, the scags parking brake is hooked up to a safety so that engine shuts-down if you try to engage the speed control, however, there is no safety for engaging it in reverse to back of a trailer, so my parking brake gets ruined pretty quickly by backing up with it on. The bobcat parking brake is not hooked up to any safetys and will not let you go in reverse because it locks up the tires.
    I think I'll end up getting (2) 48" hydros, w/17hp kawi, electric start, an hour meter, a grass gobbler, and a velke.

Does anyone have any negatives on bobcat hydro w/b's?