1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Mini Track Loader MT52

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pokemon, Oct 11, 2004.

1. pokemon

pokemon LawnSite Member

I am also trying to decide which way to go as well. I have demoed the Bobcat Mini Skid and looked at the ASV RC 30, and Toro Dingo

The main reason I will be getting a Bobcat MT52 is because of the trencher attachment. I do mainly Irrigation / Sprinkler installs and occasionally will do some SOD, Landscaping I also subed out my grading work which is about $150- $300/month.
    I have rented Ditch Witch Trenchers 1020, 1230, and 1330 several times per week rental cost between $110 and $148 per day. what I paid for rental I can own a machine for a lot less per month. After several months of research finally I will be getting a new machine in about two weeks.

1 Like the fact it has a diesel engine Kubota 18hp
    2 The dealer is close about 15 miles
    3 The controls are easy to handle
    4. The machine fits in the back of my truck ( Isuzu NQR with a fold up hydraulic ramp no PIA trailer to back up :dizzy: )

Some options I will be getting are
    1. Ride on Plat form
    2. 36" mini construction/ industrial bucket
    3. Trencher
    4. Stump Grinder ( We recently had four hurricanes here in Florida)

My wish list

1 One Auger power head 9" , 12” , 18" , 36" auger bit
    2 Pallet forks for transporting material
    3. Anbo 35" Grapple Rake Grapple Rake for moving difficult materials

4. Rotadarion for preparing the ground for seeding and beds and for mixing fertilizer into the soil

5. MT52 Mini Track Loader Utility Blade Attachment for back filling trenches.

I welcome any suggestions however the salesman already tried to talk me into a bigger machine such as S130 S160 and a S185 with HVAC sweet machine which I am seriously considering its about the same price as the MT52 with attachments. Thats why I come to this board to get some unbiased input from the PRO'S.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if you have not bought already i would try out some others.
    we are currently demoing all the compacts. the bobcat is towards the bottom of my list.
    the sk500 is to me a better machine. i will also be trying the bokter and the tx425
  3. Dig-it Landscaping

Dig-it Landscaping LawnSite Member

take a look at a eagle finn i loved renting that machine. plus it has a CAT diesel

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We just got done renting an MT 52 for augering. I love the fact that it is only 36" wide, which, will get us into tight gates. However, as a work tool it failed miserably. With the tracks, I expected it to be able to side slope as well as our 257B. Fact is, this thing does not have the power to pull a booger out of a wet bucket of snot. We had to take the 257B and tug it out of its own ruts 3 times, and the hydraulics stalled with a 24" auger.

The way we are going is to install an auger attachment to a 301.8 excavator. We are also running a trencher on it as well.

I would be interested to see how a Finn and a Toro Dingo compare to the MT-52, but this far, my opinion....TOYS...Get a real machine for real work.
  5. YardPro

i have used the ditch witch sk500. it turned a 36" auger with no problems. They make two different power heads. one is high speed low torque, the other is high torque, low speed. sounds like you had the high speed.

one problem woth the mt52 is the tracks are way too narrow. also it's only an 18hp diesel. the sk and dingo425, etc are 25+hp.

i had the sk500 today at our stone distributers. had 1300lbs on the forks ( he had scales). it was close to the tip, mut not too much of a problem. if you put on the aftermarket platform it should be able to handle 1500 easy.

also the stone was distributed evenly on the pallet.
    if stacked closer to the unit i'll bet you could get almost a ton off the ground.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly.. I think the SK500 is a much better machine than the BC, but that's just me. We recently got two in at our rental yard here in town, and I have been using it so much, I am looking a buying a new one come spring. I had trouble with stalling the Harley Rake on the MT 52, but not on the DW. I like the DW controls / feel , a lot better, and it definitely has a higher reach than the BC. It replaces 2 men on installs, so the labor savings alone will offset the cost of the machine next year....I also have tried Mertz's Boxer, but it has been 2 years ago, so I can't really offer any comparison now. I do remeber liking it, and the expanding track system.
  7. YardPro

here are the prices i have been getting.
    boxter$18K (but that's with perkins 26hp diesel, and track widening).
  8. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

That track widening is a cool feature on the boxter. Only thing I like about the toro and BC is closer and more service areas. SK (at least on paper) looks like a great machine. 1500# is a lot for a mini.
  9. YardPro

yea, i am very impressed with them.
    the SK500 cas close to the same capacity as the asv rc30.

the boxter with the diesel has a tip weight of 1750#.
    it has the same capacities as the rc30, the only drawback is the dump height is not as high.
    but we don't need that. for us the versatility of the mini's are more important.
  10. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

Know anything about the reliability of the boxter? Will it last longer than the payments?