1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLC, Feb 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Does anyone have any experience with these types of mowers? If so, what are the good points and the bad points about them? All info is appreciated!!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Here in NYS in our area they start out about $500 higher in price than the competiton for mowers of equal comparison in the walk behind category and it increases from there depending on traction unit and deck options.

The only real "downfall" I have found with them is that some units come with a narrow 6" front caster vs. the standard fatter 9". I think that these smaller casters would have a tendancy to rut the lawns during the rainy season easier than the smooth tires of the 9". Otherwise contractors love 'em or hate 'em, just like every other brand.

Hope this helps.
  3. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

i dont know about the noew ones, but we have a probbly mid 70's bobcat belt drive and its still running on i think the orginal engine. i hopes this helps some how

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

They are highly reguarded here,especially the ZT200 ZTR,it is about 1K cheaper than everything else around-and its built tougher too.The only downside I seen is the operators area is much more cramped than my Dixie choppers-but it was 3K cheaper-my DC is not worth 3K more than a Bobcat.maybe 500-1000 at the most.The ZT 200 is just as stable as the XW Dixie too,you sit lower in the chassis,so it doesnt have to be so wide to be stable.The W/b's are tough too,guys here run old ones,they still run and cut every day.I had some problems with 2 Ransomes greensmowers i bought about 5 yrs ago,but now Textron bought them and parts are easier to get and more reasonably priced.
  5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I've run Bobcat walkbehinds for 8yrs and they are VERY dependable and leave a great finish. The only negative I have about them is that the grips hurt my hands to use. I bought a ZT200 in Jan. and love it. It was almost $1200 cheaper than the DC of similar status. It may be a little slower than the DC but it too leaves a great finish and is built TOUGH. Russ
  6. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Any one have experience with the ZT200 series by bobcat? I am in the market for one and the dealer I am purchasing from sells scag, bobcat, cubcadet, and grasshopper. I want a midmount so I think I will go with the bobcat unless someone can give me a good reason to go with the Tiger Cub by Scag. I would love some info such as cut with the bobcat 200 series. Thanks for stopping by!

7. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We love our Bob-Cat ZT219! It's our first ZTR, but it is tough and it cut our time in half over an old lawn tractor. I think that John DiMartino said it pretty well.
  8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i asked my dealer about the difference between scag and bobcat. he said that the bobcat is a great machine, and the only thing that he thinks the scag has one up on it is,
    that it only has two main support beams and the scag has three, and that the scag is a little easier machine to work on. i think youd be very safe buying a bobcat. theyve been out for a while and a lot of landscapers are using them.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

GLC,my cousin bought a brand new ZT200 late in the summer.I had just bought my 2000 Dixie chopper,so they were both brand new basically,both top of line.We switched off on each others and we tried to race them,here's what I thought.The dixie is faster,by about 1 or 2 mph at the most,the ransomes is built heavier all around,every part is rugged and well thought out.The ransomes seems small after riding the dixie,and its lower and easier to manuever around trees,the hydro's were about even as far as smoothness..The Ransomes was 3K less $ than the DC,to me the cut was about the same,I think the DC might cut a hair better on the flat,the Ransomes has more and better placed anti-scalp rollers though.My DC has the oil cooler,amsoil bypass filter,and stainless body work the ransomes doesnt,but those come at a 3K difference in price,thats quite a bit of change.We both have 25hp kohlers,his runs beautiful,quiet and smooth,but its gutless ,mine is course,noisey and a dog.The kohler in the DC seems to be working harder than in the ransomes-maybe blade tip speed being higher labors the engine more-but mine sounds strained ,his doesnt until its in thick grass,mine does as soon as you engage the blades and rev it up.
  10. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

there is a guy that mows a place down the street from me that has a old .one looks like the first ztr made ,man it lays some cool stripes ,i had to pull over and watch this guy cut and see the name on that mower .for a ugly mower it left the best stripe around i would have loved to have it.ooops sorry guys i am half a sleep i was thinking bunton.

[Edited by rdh on 02-10-2001 at 02:58 AM]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.