Bobcat Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, May 9, 2010.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

My T300 Bobcat recently developed a large hyd oil leak, and I believe its coming from the main pump area. I first noticed it the other day, as it started with 2 drips on the trailer floor. The next day with out even runing it, my trailer was covered in hyd oil. I looked and felt arround the best I could(how can anyone work on these things?) and it was wet under the hyd pump. It is also wet on top and bottom of the area where the forward/backward levers connect in this area(not sure what its called). Is this common or what else should I look at? Thanks

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

As tight as it is in there, it could be another hose leaking on to the drive. I would not start crying a river just yet. The easiest thing to do is power wash it spotless and then run it and recheck. That should help narrow down the problem.

3. wanabe

from So. IL

Thats the plan for now, just wondering is there was a common problem in this area? This thing has got to be the most hard to work on machine on earth! Im about to drop the belly pan under it, not sure if this will help with access to this area or not?

4. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

please check on the bottom of the hydrostat for plug that might be loose and it could have a blown Oring. It is not possible to see the area unless with a mirror or maybe remove belly pan

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Worst case scenario is a leaking fitting that dripped a pond of oil in the belly pan and some crud that plugged up the drain holes have come out, or it's a chaffed hose to and from the pumps, I had that problem many times.

6. wanabe

from So. IL

How bad is it to drop the belly pan? One man job or not? Thanks

7. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

Not hard, just get ready to be covered in oil.:)

8. wanabe

from So. IL

Where exactly is this plug located at? On the pump that closest to the drive belt? I power washed it off today, and I hope I can find the source. There is no way to remove the belly pan on the T300, as the UC frame is bolted to it.

9. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

it has been a while now since i had that plug come loose...but if i recall right then the plug is about on the center of machine.
    You should be able to flip up the cab and then start the machine and try to drive slowly and whatch for any hydraulic leaks

10. wanabe

from So. IL

Ok, found the leak. It is coming from the very top of the hydo unit that drives the right side of the machine. Its leeking at the very top, looks like under the 2 inch round rubber cover. Anyone know if there is a way to reseal it? Or what all is involved?