BobCat or Red Hawk? Help me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I found a used Bob Cat 48" belt drive fixed deck mower for $500. It is an 2004 model I believe. It has an 15 HP Kaw on it.
    I also found a 18 HP Kohler 48" Red Hawk Hydro with sulky with 10 hours on it for $1,000. I like the thought of it being hydro and new vs. 6 years old and belt. Is it a good deal??? What would you do?

2. Coumbe

The BobCat looks old too. No idea on the engine hours.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'd still buy the American made Bobcat. The Red Hawk is a chinese mower.

4. Coumbe

Are there any good string trimmers made by an American company? I thought Stihl was a foreign company too.

5. Coumbe

Echo is a true American company, I think. It's funny to me how everyone screams BUY AMERICAN! And has a bunch of Stihl equipment. lol

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Echo is Japanese.

"Echo, Inc. is a subsidiary of Kioritz Corporation of Japan"

http://www.echo-usa.com/About-ECHO/About-Us

7. Coumbe

Man it's hard to buy American.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Its not even necessarily buying american as much as it is dont buy chinese or korean. Japan has similar manufacturing standards as does germany sweden canada....and even mexico to a point. Chinese uses inferior steel and components and uses little girls in sweat shops to put out high volumes at super low prices. I like to buy american when I can but if not I will go with something of quality from another country, which never includes china, taiwan, korea....and so on.

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Here is something you can probably relate to. Take a chinese bolt which is pretty much all they sell in hardware stores/home improvement stores. You can take a 5/16 or 3/8 bolt and turn the head right off the bolt like nothing. The steel is low quality junk.

10. Coumbe

I see what you are saying. I thought it was about keeping the jobs and the money here.