1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat owners vote

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Jul 11, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Trying to find out what the most popular bobcat is, just tell me what size or sizes you have and I'll add them up later.:)
  2. dons

dons LawnSite Member

Hello everyone :drinkup: . This is my first post, I joined the board so I could read the archives regarding Bobcats as a matter of fact.

While I am a licensed GC here in Florida, most of our work is in the specialty trade of pool enclosures. My machine(s) (selling a 317 JD because I just bought S185 BC) does see light job use, for the most part it's a personal machine being used here and there for my ongoing home renovation and additions project. There will be additional personal & business uses ahead if things go as planned for us.

I'm definitely a low hour user with no practical experience in landscaping, please keep that in mind.

I chose the S185 because it seemed to be the best balance between size and power for my uses, light demolition, excavation, pre and final grading and size was a real concern for accessing backyards. Do have the McLaren Nu Air tires and Protrac rubber tracks (Taking off the 317) and think this combination will work well. The tracks are a pain to take on and off, meaning Really Heavy, but, with the Nu Air tires offset and ability to be flipped it's pretty nimble, only 62" wide. Another plus, for me anyway, is the weight they add, 500lbs for the tires and another 1000lbs for the tracks, makes the machine incredibly stable.

Would love to have the breakout force of a T300 though and really considered one. For my current and near future uses the S185 was my choice. In case anyone is wondering, I'm going from the 317 to the S185 mainly because I found a really good deal on it with 280 only hours and the gold package...the a/c and cab are invaluable to me at the moment because of my sinus problems.
  3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

Hi welcome to the site:cool2: You can learn ALOT here, I have already:) Let us know how the bobcat is going from time to time. I'll put you down for an s-185

ps how does the bobcat compare to the john deere?
  4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I have Family in Lakeland.
    You close too there?
  5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

First: 1994 753
    Second: 1999 763 Good machine
    Third : 02 S185 Had some issues still have
    Fourth: 07 220 Work horse but fuel guzzler
    Fifth: 03 331 Just acquired
  6. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

2007 Gold Package S 185 for me...Perfect size for me, spreading loam, moving stone and sand, loading my dump trailer..Trying to decide between a plow blade or a pusher box for the winter.
  7. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have currently a T300 non high flow.

I also own, and sold another T300(the guy is 5 months behind on payments so I am currently in the process of repoing it)

I have had in the past a S300, and just sold a 435 Excavator.

Dons, If you ever need a T300 for anything contact me and I will handle it for ya.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a T-190
  9. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

1977 M610. Since I am not in the business it's just a machine for home use. Slow but sure beats a shovel!
  10. dons

dons LawnSite Member

Thanks for the welcome, Cat2. My opinions between the 317 & 185 are pretty simple, the 185 is a much smoother machine and the 317 is stronger machine. Just an hour ago I needed to move pallets of pavers from a delivery today, my weight estimate has them around 3100lbs per pallet. The 185 would "barely" tilt and lift them enough to move on a level grade, the 317 would lift them till it flipped if I let it. Both were at 2800 rpm and didn't have the air on in the 185. I understand I was far exceeding what either machine is meant to do, but was a little let down with the 185.

AWS, I'm in Orlando.

Kepple, cool, I'm in Orlando also and will contact you if the need arises!