Bobcat question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hawkeye, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

can any of you guys tell me why Bobcat offsets one of the front wheels on there ztr's. Also I am considering the Procat 52 model and I believe they offer it with a 19 Kawi, 21 Kawi and a 25 Kawi- all of these are the v twin air cooled models. Which would be the best engine choice? Thanks for the input.

2. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

We use 19s on the 52s and 25s on the 61s. Plenty of power.

The offset helps in avoiding scalping.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The front arms are different depending on which deck you get. Basically trying to keep the tires as close to the deck as possible is what they are going for I think.

Watch out. They do have a new model with a 19HP engine...but its not the FH601V, its the smaller KAI series 19HP FH581V. I believe it also has different pumps so its a bit slower. Just something to watch out for...its made to hit a certain price. So if you find a really good deal, just be aware it might be one of these newer models.

Not really bad or anything, just confusing:confused:

4. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

Thanks so far for the input guys but definitely want the bigger 12cc pumps so I need to probably look at the 21 or 25- for thick wet grass will the 25 outperform the 21 in overall quality of cut?

5. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

Is the extra 4 horsepower noticeable?

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would definately go with the 25hp. I've got a 22hp on my bob-cat and it does a nice job with it but I would definately not go any smaller.

The wheel is offset to align with the rear wheel.

7. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

thanks for the input mowerbrad- how big is the deck on your Bobcat? Are you happy with the cut and ride quality?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a 52" deck and the ride is pretty good. I would have liked to get the suspension seat but just haven't gotten around to putting one on there. It stripes amazingly and the cut is good, you just have to make sure the blades are sharp.

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My Woods is built by Bobcat and it cuts and rides great. I've got a suspension seat and really big tires. It's got a 33hp Generac with a 61" deck.

I would recommend the 25hp engine. My 48" Ferris has a 21hp engine and it is adequate most of the time. Probably would be a little weak with a 52" though.

10. hawkeye

hawkeye LawnSite Member

when do you notice the extra difference in horsepower- is it mostly evident in wet grass, thick grass, or just hilly terrain?