BOBCAT / Ransome mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jul 15, 2003.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to buy a 48 (might be a 54, looks bigger than a 48 to me) inch mower. It is NOT floating deck, but it is dual hydro with a 20 hp Kohler engine!? Never seen a walk behind with that much, ususally have 17 Kaw.

First of all, is it worth getting a mower this big w/out a floating deck. Its a great deal, and a fairly new mower (no more than 5 years old I'd say).

Do y'all prefer Kaw. or Kohler?

And whos the best? I know there are some other brands like Robin etc.

Also, is there a mulch kit for it and where could I get it and around how much? Thanks!

2. First Off
    5 years old is most of the life on a mower.
    Is anything original on the mower besides the deck whitch is wearing thin in spots.

Second
    There is always the option for a larger engine on most models for an added 500-2000.

Third
    Een though it is a fixed deck
    It will still get the god done.

Just WILL scalp if the ground is uneven

Also how mutch are they asking

3. matt223

matt223 LawnSite Member

I havent been very impressed with kohler lately. i much prefer kawasaki over kohler. i dont agree that five years is most of the life on a mower. i would expect every peice of it except the blades and maybe tires to be original. my uncle has a 1976 36" keys that he still uses today. he has only replaced belts tires and engine as far as i know.

4. matt223

matt223 LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that on a 48" or bigger a floating deck is almost a must unless you are only cutting a couple of large perfectly flat fields.

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen these mowers at pretty cheap prices new. You should look and price new ones to compare. You just might get a better deal on a new one!

6. TROTTMAN

$800-1000, like 2 years old or 3.
    Lol...

7. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 54" Bunton fixed deck with a 17 Kawasaki. 3 full seasons going on the fourth. For $800-1000, I'd say you can't go wrong.

8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 54" Bob-cat 20 hp Kohler with the fixed deck. I wish that I had the floating deck but get along fine without it. I only have problems mowing diagonal through ditches, like along the street. After a few cuts on each property, you will 'train' the lawn to the deck and you will be 'trained' to the lawn. You will know where the low spots, bumps, roots, etc. are and adjust. Likewise, the ones you do hit with the deck will not be there next time:)

At 3 years old, that mower has pleanty of life left. I'm glad I got the 20hp. And I like the Kohler. This is the second year and no problems. Nobody complains about too much power!

Brian

9. TROTTMAN

Yeah, its a TON of power. Everyone has told me that Kawasaki is the best, but Kohler is pretty good as well, better than Briggs.

Do either of you have a mulching kit on your mowers? I think it is either a 54" or a 48" (the guy says its a 48, but it looks larger). I need a really nice, high quality mulch kit, with baffles that comepletely isolate each blade so that grass can't pile up anywhere. I also need it to have mulching blades and a plug for the discharge.

Is it hard to use the hydros on that mower? It seemed like the handles were hard to use. They would extend so far from the grip I could barely reach my fingertips to pull it back up. Maybe its not supposed to be that far from the main handle.

I'll check to see how old the mower is. I doubt its very old, but if there are no big problems I'll be fine.

By the way, what type of oil do y'all use for the engines? I know SAE 30, but does anyone use synthetic?

What fluid do you use for the hydro system? I see a lot of Mobil 1 stickers around the pumps.

10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a mulching kit, just side discharge. Sometimes I have to double cut. The handles and grips are a little far for me too. My hydro sysetm uses regular 10w-30 oil.