bobcat s 185?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cash_money, Jul 23, 2005.

1. cash_money

cash_money LawnSite Member
    from usa

I was wondering how much the s 185 and the s175 would be? Also do you guys know anything more bout the rent to own plan? I'll be using this for snow removel and on my landscaping jobs when needed. Also would you guys rather have the s 175 or the s185

2. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I'm not sure on current model year prices, sorry. I'd get the S185 over the S175. The 10 extra horsepower is really needed in that sized machine. I have a 773T (same as the S185) and I wish it even had a little more power. I don't really notice the lack of power while plowing snow, but it is really evident when digging or push dirt. The S205 is the same sized machine but has an additional 5 HP. BTW, I am also using 74" buckets so it requires more power than if you were using the standard 68" bucket.

If you needs and budget can accomadate a larger machine, I'd recommend going up to a larger chassis machine like a S220, S250, or S300. The long wheelbase make the ride so much better and the additional horsepower helps, especially if you use power hungry attachments or do heavy digging.

Rent to own? Is this through your Bobcat dealer? My Bobcat dealer mentioned that they could apply any rent toward purchase, but there'd be a small fee (about 2%-4% of rental charges I think). This is geared more towards short term rental, ie.: rent for the summer then decide to purchase at the end of the season.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I think TerraFirma covered the bases quite well... although I did interpret your message a bit differently than he did. It seems to me that the skid would not be a major part of daily operations for you -- just a machine to have around -- so there are a few more options I would explore. First, if you don't have any intentions of using the machine very hard, in heavy digging, heavy lifting, heavy attachment usage, etc, I wouldn't necessary recommend going with an S220+. Second, rent-to-own might not be your ticket if you find that you aren't using the machine as often as you'd like. Explore other finance options, possibly leasing, and see if something works out a bit better. Adding 2-4%, as TerraFirma mentioned, may not be much, but if there's another path that avoids the added percentage, it might be wise to go that way.

I'm not saying I disagree with TerraFirma. He runs a great company and knows Bobcat products extremely well. We merely interpreted your original post a bit differently; I read it as "I need a skid steer for occasional use." By this perception, I'd suggest staying within the S205 frame size -- either going for a S160, S185, or S205. They're smaller machines and will be cheaper to own and operate than a bigger machine.

Then again, if you are looking to do serious work, his suggestion still stands: look to the large-frame machines.

Oh -- and as far as prices go, you should expect the S175 to be around 23,000 (top end); the S185 to be around 26,000, and the S205 to be around 28,000 or 29,000. Above that and you get seriously into the range of the S220, which is around 31,000. (These are ballpark estimates. I know my local dealer had an S175 for around 20k a while back.)

4. cash_money

cash_money LawnSite Member
    from usa

Thanks BobcatS250 and TerraFirma Excavating. i may look into a bigger machine. That s 300 would be nice with all wheel steer.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't trust those quite yet.

All Wheel steer requires replacing solid axles with constant velocity joints. My gut feeling is that the first generation of CV's aren't going to be up to snuff with handling the rough life of a skid.

I guess we'll see.

6. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I definately use my machine as an all-around machine for even the heavy tasks. From day one, I planned on using my machine to it's limit, hence why I bought the 74" bucket and even thought hard about an 80" bucket. I had a choice between the 773T (S185) loaded with the gold package and a 864 (almost a S220) which was bare bones. I made my decision based solely on ROC and should have spent more time on other specs. The 773T with counterweights was rated at 1950# ROC and the 864 had a 2000# ROC. I should have looked at HP, wheelbase, and hydraulic flow.

If you landscaping on the smaller scale, I think a S160, S175, S185, or S205 would work great. You may want to get either the S185 or S205 if you are dealing with heavy pallets of sod, paver, etc... Attachments such as powerrakes, rototillers, and brushcutters are flow hungry and would also be best suited for the S185 or S205 or even larger machines.

I could definately benefit from a larger machine, but really like my 773T. If budget allows, I may keep my 773 when I get a larger machine.

7. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

The size of machine should be based on what you do, not how much you will use it. If you use a machine very little, I would consider a late model used machine. Your owning cost would be significantly lower. There are plenty of good used S185's out there.

If cash flow is an issue (I assume that is why you are looking for a rent to own), most equipment manufacturers are offering low APR financing for used or rental roll-out machines. Rent with purchase option is usually a higher monthly payment, with higher interest.