1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat s250 or Cat 252b

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boss Exc., Sep 23, 2007.

1. Boss Exc.

Boss Exc. LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a used skidsteer and I either want to get a Bobcat s250(k series) or a Cat 252b.I have run Bobcat's for years and I like them alot, so I'm pretty familiar with them.The only reason why I'm considering the Cat is really just because of the name,I know not one thing about Cat skidsteers except the controls are great.I have never even run one.I will be useing the machine for loading trucks,grading,excavating and possibly useing some brush-cutting attachment's every once in a while.

My question to you guys is:1)What machine would you guys recommend buying? 2)Is one better than the other?
  2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Boy, you have opened a can of worms with those questions......I would sit in the cab and test the visability of each model you would consider buying and see how the cab fits you and how you feel with the machine. Other guys can tell you the why's, whatfor's, spec's, pros-cons and disect each and every model with the precison of a surgeon, but if you are not comfortable or can't see - what's the use? DEMO....DEMO.....DEMO and then narrow it down.
  3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

What are you going to be using it for?
  4. Boss Exc.

Yea I kinda figured I would open up that can......That's one thing I like so much about Bobcat is the rearward visiblity is IMO so good.I'm going to demo the Cat sometime soon but I'm just looking for some basic opinons from you guys,I know we could talk this is better than that all day long.
    Thanks rockSet N' Grade
  5. Boss Exc.

Grading black dirt,excavating,loading trucks and I'd like to plow with it to.I do get asked once in awhile to do some land clearing so I would be useing a brushcutter to take down small trees and grass.
  6. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

I would go with bobcat. Which dealer is closer? I would think bobcat would be cheaper. Bobcat has more breakout force than cat, so that will help when digging into piles, but black dirt is pretty loose. And just all aroung digging. Also it goes a little faster, has more reach, and lifts a little higher, and has more ground clearance
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I think the rear visibility in the BC sucks, I believe it is probably one of the worst. Since I guess I am the resident CASE fan boy, I would suggest demoing a CASE 70XT/440 which is radial lift with 85 hp or 85XT/445 vertical with approx 75 hp. A CASE machine is not on your list but worth a demo. You may find you have a new favorite.
  8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I agree...visibility in the T300 wasn't bad...but not the greatest, don't know about a 252B but if its related to the 257B...run away as fast as you can:dizzy:
  9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Don't worry -- the 252B and 257B are different animals entirely. The common "5" doesn't indicate much.
  10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

To GPS the number 5 indicated 5 fingers :waving: good bye to his 257B.

As far as the other machines just try demoing,probably will be faster.As you demo!!!!!! if you have time, might as well throw in Case,New Holland,Deere,and a few others.:rolleyes:

Good luck!