Bobcat s250 questions.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by zedosix, Jan 2, 2007.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What year did the 120# chain show up on the s models. Specifically the s250. I am looking at a used s250 with 190 hrs on it. Fully optioned for 34,900. Is the price right or just normal.

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Late last year, on the K-series models.

That price (in Canadian dollars, I assume?) looks pretty good -- under $32k (USD) for an S250 seems like a good buy. (Other people need to chime in on this...) It's possible that Bobcat's underpricing it to get away from competition from Cat and Case, but I think that $30,000 for a barely used S250 is really sweet. You'll need to check that the machine isn't that low for a reason, however.

3. zedosix

I am demoing a brand new s220 in the morning, it has foot control, cab and heater. There is no A/C. Also missing the bobtach set up. He wants 40 canadian. Of course I would get the full warranty whatever that would be. Or......

I could pick up a used s250 with 190 hours, fully optioned including A/C. for 34,900 (29600 U.S.) On this unit there is a 90 day warranty only. The reason the guy didn't like the machine was due to the joystick control, seemed like his guys couldn't get used to it or something.

Any input would be appreciated.

4. zedosix

I forgot to mention it is also a 2 speed.

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you pm me on the 220 i am looking at buying new in the spring. I think the 220 would be a great machine i know it is the old 863. I think my price foe heat and air foot controls new around 33k. I like that series for grading i had a 763 and you could see out the side easier than my 185.
    Mike

6. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

thats a hell of a deal. I would jump on that deal real fast

7. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

It's a good deal, but there's quite a difference between the two machines... what do you plan on doing with the skid-steer?

8. zedosix

Ripping asphalt, excavating drivweays, loading trucks, carrying crushed stone, some grading etc. Lifting pallets or close to full pallets of brick. A pallet of tumbled stone weights in @ 3,900lbs. Lifting and placing boulders that sort of thing.
    The new machine is approx. 46,000 The used one with 190 hours is 34,900. If you figure 8% interest on 34900 or 1.9% for 46000 its not too far apart now. Also no warranty or very little on the used. I won't expect the same service if I bring them the used one with any sort of problem. One last thing I need to think about is my guys are used to foot controls, and the used one has the joystick. If it was only me operating it, it would be a no brainer.

9. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

If you'll be lifting pallets of sod, you may want to reconsider the S220 -- it won't handle 4,000 pounds of pallet well at all. (In fact, the S250 will also be on the fence with that sort of load.) If you're limited to Bobcat, I think the S250 is a good deal (if you can buy an extended warranty, that'd be awesome), but if you're not you may want to consider looking at Deere and Case, and possible New Holland.

Any other opinions out there on machine pick or pricing?

10. zedosix

Tipping load on the S250 is 5881 lbs. That is one wet pallet of sod my friend.
    I am testing a 268b tomorrow at the same time. Will make my decision by the end of the week. I am going to try and lift a 4000 lb pallet of brick in my 5 ton and see what the effect is. Hopefully my face won't be on the ground.:)