1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BoBcat S300 question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Cooper725, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

Looking to buy new Bobcat S300, got a quick question for you Heavy-Equipment-Gods, what is the fuel consumption of the S300's 81 hp engine? I mean to say how long will it run on a full 25 gallon tank while pushing a 84 inch Sweeper Attachment. If you can answer that then the same question applies but instead of a sweeper....say a 10 foot Snow Pusher in 2' snow? Thxs for your help in this matter.
  2. Cooper725

3. Cooper725

Ugh too tough a question. Guess Ill have to ask a dealer.....he will tell me the truth....right lol.
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'll go out on a limb, 25 gallons, 81 ponies, 12 hours balls to the wall.

I got 8 hours on 28 gallons with 56 ponies in my T190.
  5. Cooper725

Thxs bud, an estimate was what I was looking for. Nice to see some input.:drinkup:
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

i have run 3 s300's for the last 3 years so I will give my 2 cents.

If your attachment is high flow, you may be filling up after 4-5 hours.
    You can run about 8 hours on a full tank if you are not stressing the motor and not full throttle. I have only made it 8 hours without filling up a few times.
    The guages are not that accurate. Best to see where the light comes on, then when you fill up see how much it takes. They can run about an hour with the low fuel light on (sometimes).

You are only getting about 77 hp out of that 81. The kubota doesn't seem to be that efficient, or at least Bobcat is finally telling the truth. Their line used to be, more fuel, more power, for the s300 to generate a net 81 hp while the same motor in the s250 and s220's generates 75. I never really noticed a difference in the two other than a bit more fuel consumption the s300.
    my experience is that the s300's are very reliable. Have been out long enough that most kinks are out of them and they are a good, average machine for a great many tasks. I wish I had never sold mine.. :( Big mistake on my part.
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the S300, but my old T300 burned around 3 1/2 + GPH, so I could only get around 7 hours on a full tank, if I recall. I'm sure the S300 might be a little better, but not a lot.
  8. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I can get 8 -10 hours from one tank of fuel on my T300 with light duty work,such as hauling logs from bush or just carrying soil from point A to point B. But with heavy work such as soil pushing and leveling gravel etc. I can only get about 5-6 hours from one tank full.
  9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

That is really disheartning.
    My Takeuchi at WOT will go over a day on a tank.
    I actually have never had too stop a days work for need of fuel.

BOBCATZZ LawnSite Member

My TL150 AVERAGES 55-60 litres aday have heard of guys doing 80-90 litres a day but allso they operate 100% throttle
    Most machines are designed to work a 8-12 hour day at there optimal rev range
    CAT actually came up with this concept of fuel to hours so the operator could grease and do pre start check ups every 8-12 operating hours