Bobcat skid steers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shane472, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

What's a good bobcat machine for general landscape work. Something that has a big enough lift capacity for moving pallets around but not too big that it won't fit on job sites. Thanks.

2. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

The skid question has been asked a gillion times and everyone has an opinion. I am looking at the ASV RC 30 or 50. I have rented them lots of times and love them. The 30 fits through more gates than the 50, but the bucket is basically a Wheel Barrow. The 50 is very fast and productive, but if it doesn't work for 50% of the jobs I do, it may not be worth it. I basically have decided to get the 50 and maybe someday get a 30. I have started tearing down parts of walls to get a bigger skid in the yard. Most of the wall around here are made of fence block and it only cost me around $100 to tear down and replace. I do the job in half the time with the big skid. It really is a toss up. I am sure I will regret the choice of 50% of the jobs, but I need one so what the heck.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on here, then demo some machines.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Pallets of fertilizer, 2400 lbs. Pallets of paver's, 2200-2400 lbs. Retaining wall block, 2200-2600 lbs.

Gonna need a machine with that kind of lift capacity. You get a smaller one and start pissing around wasting time breaking down pallets, you've just thrown efficiency out the window. Can't have it all. You want a machine to lift, you get an 8000 pound machine. You want to get through tight areas, you give up lift capacity.

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

S220 .... go to bobcats website for all the specs

6. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I have A s185 high flow. Great machine Lifts skids of fert pretty easy but you have to do it slow. I think I need to get the counter balance for the rear if want to lift pallets all the quickly. There is a bit of a balance issue.

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to mention digging hills out. Get a 4WD model with 70+ HP and Turbo. Might set you back 30k new though.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know what kind of pavers/block you are getting, but your figures are light for around here. For pavers, you are looking at a minimum of 3k, and block will run anywhere from 2800-4000 pounds, depending on manufacturer.
    Ummmmmmm.....I don't think anyone makes anything less than a 4wd anymore. The only non-4wd I've ever seen was an original Bobcat that only had 3 wheels.....

Basically the original poster needs to do a little research on what will work best for his type of work; look at specs primarily, then figure out which to demo. Demo all that interest him and decide from there.

A good starter machine would be something along the size of a Bobcat S185 or a JD (series II) 240. I'm not endorsing either, just simply stating that that is a good size to start out with for many companies.

Dan

9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought an S185 about a month ago and I am pleased so far. It has the flotation tires and before things froze, I had it in the mud and it performed better than I expected. Since then I've only used it for snow. I had an 8' pusher on it and it pushed no problem. If you need a machine that is good for general landscaping then I think it is a good machine. If you want something primarily for moving block, pallets then I would suggest the S220 or bigger.

10. Shane472

Shane472 LawnSite Member

My primary business is hardscaping so I probably would be best of buying a larger machine to move pallets of block etc. I've had a chance to see the old 873 in action and it looks pretty good. I think that model is a s250 now. I think I'll try to demo it. If anyone has used this model how did you find it? Was the digging power good for excavating and how did it handle large pallets?