1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bobcat t140

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by kiwiwill, Dec 31, 2005.

1. kiwiwill

kiwiwill LawnSite Member

Gidday, I currently have a bobcat 553 but would like to replace it with a t140.
    we mainly use it for lawn installs, light digging and moving topsoil gravel etc. we also use a rotadairon, posthole auger and chain trencher.
    The 553 is slightly to small for some of our work, although it can get into spaces that alot of other machines cannot. It does quite alot of damage to existing turf and grounds, and the wheels can leave the final grade very compacted.
    The bobcat t140 still seems to be compact, but offer both better power, lifting and digging capacities while also being kinder to existing grounds.

Would like any views on this machine, it is just coming out in New Zealand,

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in the market for a smaller tracked unit just like you. I demoed a T140 not too long ago and found it to be underpowered for it's weight (over 6,000lbs and only 46hp net). It's based of of the S130 frame and the hp is fine for wheels. The S130 is a good little machine. I ended up buying a used ASV RC50. It has roughly the same net hp ( I think it is 47), but it weighs over 1,000lbs less and is more maneuverable, quicker, has more lift height, and is definitely more sensitive on delicate surfaces. i don't know if you have a dealer in New Zealand, but I would look into it. I've sold many of the Bobcat tracked machines, from the 864 to the T300, and I've yet to find a tracked loader that is as "all around" as good as the ASV machines. I do like many of the Bobcat's features better than the ASV, as I do with the other tracked machines, but overall, the ASV machines offer more in terms of my ability to bid different jobs IMHO.
  3. kiwiwill

kiwiwill LawnSite Member

Cheers, we do have an asv dealer locally, they have quite a strong market share here, while bobcat do not actually have any tracked machines in the south island of new zealand.(Plenty of wheeled machines)
    Because of this they are very keen to get a machine operated in my area, and are more likely to offer a better deal with a trade of the 553.

I have used a rc30 and liked it alot, but found it to be very underpowered,
    Alot of guys are having trouble with maintenance on the asv undercarriages, and have recommended the bobcat type track because it is simpler and believe because of this it is more robust.

The t140 seems to be quite compact for how much it weighs?
  4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Will.

Steve McLean
    58 GladStone Road
    Richmond, Nelson NZ
    Phone: 080-076-7487
    Equipment sales & service
    Equipment rentals
    Used equipment

Can I be any more subtle than that??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)
  5. Squizzy246B

Will, locally we have been around this argument about 37 times with this track vs that track system. All in all I'd say its more or less, something near a load of Bollocks!. There is difference between the manufacturers and these have some issues but it all comes down to how you maintain and drive them. I recently had a chance to talk to a 267B operator who has 1700 hrs on his tracks - he pressure cleans them Every night. If you work in the mud you have to be mindful of crud build up and try and keep them clear.

By the sound of it you should screw your Bobcat dealer for all he's worth.:)

The RC 50 is anything but underpowered.
  6. kiwiwill

kiwiwill LawnSite Member

Cheers Squizzy. I have already talked to advanced equipment, I do like their machines, but they were quite along way from offering a good trade on the 553.
    I just think that bobcat will be able to do me a much better deal.
    The t140 have not turned up in nz yet, have you guys got them over there.

I do not believe much of the hype from any of the dealers, as most the makes have their good and bad points.

Have you been having a good run with yopur cat machine?

7. Squizzy246B

Willi, hows things on the Mainland:rolleyes:

The 246B has stood up to it well, now 500 hrs since purchase new in May 05. I have buckled rims, busted tyres and at times operated the machine well beyond its capacity. The best thing is it impresses the clients and hasn't let us down except for getting dust in a relay once. It does get over serviced though.

The T140 I believe is on the East Coast, haven't heard anything here yet but I do know an S130 owner who can't get out of his fast enough. I must say I think the new Bobcats (the larger machines) have too much whizzbang electronic crap in them. I liked them when they were really basic with no frills and if they did break down you didn't need to send to the US for a chip update for the diagnostic computer, of which there is only one and thats in Melbourne or somewhere you are not. Being in NZ you'd know what I'm talking about.

Have you got a Mustang or Toyota dealer close by?. The Toyota machines are doing really well over here. They seem very solid like the Cat and are a bit cheaper than the pussy.
  8. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

I demo a 140 To me its was great but hell any thing is better then a wheel barrow. By it being tracks I can see were some guys says its underpowerd. i think if it was @ 56 hp it wolud be great machine.

But if you are doing basic skid steer work and space is tight the manchine is great
  9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand where you're coming from on the trade-in issue, but I really suggest that you operate BOTH of the machines. I would shy away from purchasing the machine if there are none there for you to try out. You said that your local ASV dealer (advanced equipment) has a good market share and there must be a reason for this. As a former Bobcat salesman, I had no problem bringing a customer a machine to try out. I lived and breathed Bobcat, hell, I still have a S220 and it does everything I ask of it in the proper application. However, I did buy the RC50 based on it's performance over the T140, and in many areas the T180. It is definitely not underpowered.

Squzzy246B makes a very good point when he mentions the PM that an undercarriage needs. All models need this PM. Dozer operators will tell you the same thing for their steel tracked machines. I wish you the best of luck.
  10. kiwiwill

kiwiwill LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help. I am definately not going to buy a machine without having a good trial of the ones I think are suitable.
    I know that the operators who have had their troubles with the asv around me were pretty neglectful of maintenance. Their problems were more operator error than the fault of the machine.

On loose figures though it looks like there could be as much as $20 k in price difference between the t140 and the asv that is avaliable. This is taking into account of the low trade that I was offered by the asv dealer.

Now even if the asv is a much superior machine, is it capable of earning the extra capital over what the bobcat could earn.

The irony is that one of the reasons I bought the bobcat brand was their resale value.:blush: