Bobcat T300 CTL: Your opinions please!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mowingman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The owner of a ranch where I am doing contract clearing, has agreed to buy a compact track loader for me to use. I am stacking logs with a root grapple, and will be doing a lot of mowing with a 6' heavy duty Ambusher mower. The ranch ,will be using it with a tree shear and a post hole digger a lot, after I am done with the clearing.
    We have looked at a lot of different track machines, and Bobcat is not one of my favorites. However, the local dealer has a used 2005, T300, with 1800hrs. on it at a good price. The dealer has installed new tracks and undercarriage. It has a closed cab with good cold A/C. Has hand/foot controls, and no high flow option.
    Anyone have experience with one of these T300's. It looks to be a pretty clean, well cared for machine. Our other options are Gehl, Deere, or NH. None of those dealers have any used machines with closed cabs.

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

if you are goin to get a machine you might as well get what you want...

and i have never ran a t300 so i cant really say much about the quality..

3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Just wait, I am sure bobcat ron will fill you in! Even though it will outwork his cat all day, I am sure it will be junk.

4. Junior M

now remember he thinks cat is so awesome!! so his cat will out work the 300! no matter what the conditions!!

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go for the Deere over the Bobcat, 1800 hours for a CTL is bad, it might look good, but lift the loader up and shake the machine side to side, there's gonna be some slop in either the idler guides or the pins in the loader.

6. Mowingman

from Texas

Yes, I have to go have a closer look at the Bobcat. Since the landowner is purchasing this, I only have so much say in it. I would go for the Deere myself, but they have no used ones. The landowner is looking at trying to save some money by going with a used machine.

7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowingman- I had a T300 until I traded it in a couple of years ago for a Deere. It was an O.K. machine. Definetly not as powerful as my Deere and several others on the market, but I moved a lot of dirt with it and it did the job. I never liked the AHC controls I had on it. I had some electrical repairs on it right after warranty ran out that Bobcat wouldn't make good on. The engine is also very noisy and access to it wasn't very good. Overall it was O.K., but there are several others I would prefer over it.

Having said all that, are you sure you need a CTL? It seems like a wheeled skid might serve you just as well, especially if traction and stability isn't an issue.

8. Mowingman

from Texas

Traction, stability, and flat tires are big issues. They mow a lot of the cleared acreage with a 20' batwing and 140hp tractor. However, we have some creeks with very steep banks that have to be mowed, as well as some low drainage areas that stay wet most of the year. All these areas are full of thorny growth and tires do not stand a chance. I had 6 flats in 3 days with the current old NH machine. Today I was mowing with a Bobcat 300, tire machine. It has brand new, heavy duty tires, so no flats today. Of course, I stuck it in the creek twice and had to get pulled out. and, this is the dry season here.
    Also, most of the wood we are stacking, (stuff too big to shred with mulcher), is full of thorns, really big thorns. It is Honey Locust and Mesquite. Thorns everywhere.

9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one with a FECON mower on the front. It held a slope VERY well. I was on slopes where my knees were hurting because they were digging in below the front window, but the T300 held the hill. I can't say anything for long-term durability or anything, but it worked for the 20 hours a day I used it. (That rental wasn't cheap) The only issue was I got too much fluff in the radiator and had to blow it out.

10. Junior M

but that fluff happens with about any brand so it is really just something you deal with when doing that type of work...