Bobcat T300 vs Tak TL150

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ironmike, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Ironmike

Ironmike LawnSite Member

Anybodys thoughts on bobcat track machines or takeuchi? anyone out there have owned both and have comments on operating expense/performance/cost on one or the other?

2. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

We demoed both. The TK was a nice machine but the assbackwards pilot controls when your backing up and price cost it the sale. All piolt control systems are the same so it's not just TK.

Sure you can get used to it after a while but then jump on a dozer and your all fugged up again.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, you're right. If you're used to skid pilot controls, you'll get thrown for a loop if you get on a dozer with a hystat trans or diff steer. First time I ran a D6R and D8R were both with diff steer, holy crap I was backwards for about half an hour.

4. D & B

D & B LawnSite Member

I own a TL150 for 2 years now. I tested every machine for months. Price is about the same, but performance wasn't even close. The TL150 just keeps pushing dirt until it comes through the cab. Many of the large nurseries out on Long Island are switing over to the Tak. The Bobcat has a vertical lift vs. a radius lift, but the nurseries are lifting all day and I was doing a job last week with 4100 lb pallets of stone and was lifting off the tractor trailer with no problem. My area has a large Bobcat dealer and great support, yet many of us are going with the Tak! Have had no problems(378 hours). As far as the pilot controls, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That is the main reason we love this machine. My main operator has had many years with Cat 287 and Komatsu, along with heavy machinery. He loves the Tak and hated the Bobcat as did I. The dalaaaaaaay from the control(servo) drove us nuts as we demoed on two occassions. I feel the Bobcat can not chew gum and walk at the same time. I spoke to the Bobcat dealer and a rep at the Con/Ag Expo in Vegas last month. They stated that they recognized the problem and the new machines have the capability of turning up the response with the computer. I haven't demoed one yet with this adjustment, but I can't imagine it being as responsive. If you have many different operators constantly changing, then maybe the Bobcat is safer and a smarter choice. But if you want a responsive,productive, b"d*ss machine that is the king of the hill right now, go with the TAK! Just our opinion, hope it helps.

5. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

If you can not get used to the pilot controls on the TK they can switch them to Case style, Or you can look for the Gehl or Mustang version, they market them with Case controls. I have ran both and own A TL140, I would take the 140 over A T300 any day. The only bad about TK is the height of the machine, they won't fit in A 7' garage door. I hated going Jap but, the quality is waaaay better, they gave a great standard warranty, And last but not least the TK was cheaper. The BC dealers around here think those damn things are gold the way they price them. Put the T300 next to A TL150 and compare quality, after doing that and pricing and running them I would have A hard time paying more or the same for A BC. I almost think they are selling TK reasonable to get them out there so people know how good they are, you see very few around here.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go for the Takeuchi anyday, Bobcat T300's are great power lifters, but they are slugs at barely 6 mp/h and the Tak's have an optional 2 speed. Also Bobcat's pilots (SJC) are not the best, electronic glitches are everywhere.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The T300 is not in the same class as a TL 150.
    It matches better too the TL140.

The T300 pretty much set my Takeuchi dealer on the map because of it's lack of reliability.

The track systems are similar and both will get similar hours out of the tracks.
    Expect 700 too 1200 hours.

The T300 reminds me of a pimped out Toyota Tundra (looks good on paper)
    and the Tl 150 reminds me of a F450 work truck.
    One thinks it is built for the job and the other actually is.:)

8. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

There might be and issue do you need high flow??????:usflag:

9. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

The TL150 would be the clear winner. It is in a league of it's own. If you need allot of power and don't mind the extreme weight and size of it then it is perfect. If you need high flow then check out Gehl and Mustang I think you can get high flow on them.

10. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

i just bought t tl140 this yaer and I have not met a match for its power. I tested every machine and nothing was close we had a t190 and a t300 side by side at the tak dealer and those bobcats didnot compare. The tl150 is just crazy