1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bobcat T320

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by getthenet, Sep 5, 2008.

1. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

I am looking at buying a skid steer. bobcat t 300 or t 320? Anyone been on one yet? I rent t300 s alot so I am familiar with them but was wondering if the 320 was worth the difference in price. Give me some educated input. thanks
  2. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Since you rent a 300 frequently pick up a 320 next time and operate the difference yourself. You must need the T300 performance, there is not a terribly large difference between a 300 and 320. Larger engine (12 more horsepower), 200 more lbs. rated operating capacity but the same 50% tipping load rating, machine flows at high flow are the same. The added horsepower may give a little more grunt.

I really do not see the need for a 320 over a 300 since the performance difference is not that great.
  3. Nelson M Martin

Nelson M Martin LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I owned a T300 for 11 months and had 1150 hrs on it.
    I traded it in to dealer for a new T320 c/w the suspended under carriage
    It is each to his own machine...but i think the difference in ride is worth while changing to a T320.

P.S. the T300 was about $9000.00 less then it was when i bought it ..reasonable resale value
  4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A local plant nursery on my customer list that owns a T300 is not too pleased with it, everyone complains about the rough ride, poor fuel economy and they want pilot controls as every one gets pain in their arms and chest, so they are switching over to a Cat 297C or a 299C PDQ now, thanks to my little "demonstration".

The roller suspension is a joke, lift the loader all the way up, and the machine gets real "rocky" and it needs almost it's own 50% ROC to make the rollers move, not to mention the the rear idler position was raised up, it will dig in to soft soil faster when it's un-loaded and wear the tracks down more on hard surfaces.
  5. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually got in the cab of a T320 right before the end of the summer and the ROC of the T320 "with the suspension" actually drops to 2800lbs@35% compared to 3200lbs@35% with no suspension. I think it was a mistake to remove the extra roller Bobcat had added to improve track life and ride but I guess they didn't have room for their nifty leaf springs.
  6. Nelson M Martin

from Ontario

i think its a wise choice to go for the pilot controls,,i dont have any use for the rowing oars in a skid steer
    i dont own a Bobcat without joystick control.
    Bobcat has machines available with the joystick controls as well.
    I would not like to run any skid loader for a whole day without joystick control.
    they are so much more user friendly IMO.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, I love that spill guard!!
  8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

We all chimed in on this suspension system when Bobcat released it and I cant recall anyone thinking that is would be all that effective. Since your the first to post here that has one, what do you think. Did you have a prior BC tracked machine before the 320?

My opinon is if your buying a BC the E/H controls are the only way to go. The AHC is terrible and without Servo's its even worse. The feedback in the controls especially on the tracked machines is uncomfortable to say the least. BCrons story does not surprise me.
  9. Nelson M Martin

from Ontario

To answer ur question...yes i had a T300 Bobcat for 11 months.
    I have been fairly lucky with repairs in the 1150 hrs i used it ,they were basically Zero.
    Down time with the T300 might have been half hour or so besides daily maintnance.

The T320 suspension is very effective..actually it is effective to the point of being tricky for final grading.
    as Bobcat ron has mention previously in this thread, it makes the machine more tippy or rocky if compared with a soild under carriage machine
  10. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

I usually run a t300, but I ran a takeuchi t130 all last year with joystick controls. I would just about put the smoothness of controls on the t130 up against anything out there. Then I ran a cat 287B with supension. The ride difference was amazing on smoothing out the bumps. But the joystick controls on the cat were very behind on technology compared to the t130. But still, my bobcat dealer takes care of me the best in all situations and that means the most to me. So I will go with bobcat but just wonder about that suspension on t320. As bobcatron said, it might be to "bouncy" when you are fine grading, but is it any worse than the cat series with torsion suspension?